Window Crank Problem

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Jims65cyclone

Window Crank Problem

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Came home from a cruise-in, pulled into the garage, started to roll up the driver's side window and there was a pop, and the window crank just twirls around with no resistance. I want to get some thoughts from you guys before I start the autopsy.
1) What's involved in getting the crank handle off so I can remove the door panel? Does it have a wire clip, stamped metal clip, etc.? What do I need to remove it? Special tool or something I may already have?
2) Any theories on what went wrong? What am I likely to face when I get in there?
3) Good source(s) for parts if it's not something simple I can fab myself?
Thanks guys.
Jim

Lou's Comet

Re: Window Crank Problem

Post by Lou's Comet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Came home from a cruise-in, pulled into the garage, started to roll up the driver's side window and there was a pop, and the window crank just twirls around with no resistance. I want to get some thoughts from you guys before I start the autopsy.
1) What's involved in getting the crank handle off so I can remove the door panel? Does it have a wire clip, stamped metal clip, etc.? What do I need to remove it? Special tool or something I may already have?
2) Any theories on what went wrong? What am I likely to face when I get in there?
3) Good source(s) for parts if it's not something simple I can fab myself?
Thanks guys.
Jim
Should have a clip on the backside of the handle like this.

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 164p56.htm

You can usually get them off with a small hook type tool, or you can get the tool for removing them from HF or most auto parts stores. Here is link to the tool.

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 64p956.htm

Hard to tell what went without taking panel off and seeing. But if I was to guess I would say one of the rollers broke/wore out and popped out of the track. Here is a link for replacement rollers

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Sto ... px?wid=141

But again won't know for sure until you get the panel off.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Your problem could be the plastic bushings, I have found that in time they seize to the shaft and then drag along the channel. This could make them break especially after 50+ years the plastic gets brittle. Another problem could be the spring that counter balances the window, this is a flat wound spring that is part of the regulator.
If you need a replacement regulator I might have one in my extra parts.(if "64 regulators are the same as '65)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jim whatever's broke in there can be replaced with 65 Mustang parts (minus the actual regulator I believe).
It's a good time to do a thorough inspection and some preventative maintenance like lubricating things etc.
Driver side is always gonna wear out more than passenger side so you have some time before you'll need to get into that side.
Also, be very careful as you pop out the door panel clips. It doesn't take much to break out the cardboard backing.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:1) What's involved in getting the crank handle off so I can remove the door panel? Does it have a wire clip, stamped metal clip, etc.? What do I need to remove it? Special tool or something I may already have?
I have the tool like Lou is talking about but I have heard you can use a rag to get the clip out by slipping it between the panel and the handle and pulling back and forth until you snag the clip and pop it loose. I believe the two clip legs face the crank arm.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I spent some time on YouTube after my initial post, and learned a lot. I saw the rag technique to remove the pin and tried it, but couldn't get it to work. Then I discovered my son-in-law has the tool made to remove the pin, so I'll borrow it from him. Another YouTube video showed the removal of the regulator from the driver's door on a 65 Mustang. That one had some missing teeth on the regulator. I'm wondering if that may be my problem since there was a pop, and then the crank seems to just turn without engaging anything. They bought a complete repop regulator assembly from NPD, so I know it's available for a Mustang, but don't know if it's the same as a 65 Comet. I just need to borrow that tool and get the handle off so I can remove the panel and see what's wrong. I bookmarked the videos so I can go back and watch them again before taking the guts apart. I'll give you guys an update when I tear into it. Thanks for your advice.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:so I know it's available for a Mustang, but don't know if it's the same as a 65 Comet
I am going to make a guess it is a very universal, common Ford part and shouldn't have any problem finding a replacement. That is what I predict. :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

Falconparts has some parts to repair or replace the regulators or crank handles
http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... s-c135.htm
I use this type of tool to remove the handle clip
http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 64p956.htm

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Borrowed son-in-law's door handle removal tool two or three weeks ago and removed the window crank so I could pull the door panel. There is an actuator arm that connects the window regulator mechanism to a pin on the bottom of the window frame. As you turn the crank, the pinion gear on the crank rotates the toothed arc on the regulator, moving the actuator arm which makes the window raise or lower. The actuator arm is held on the pin with a hairpin-type clip. This clip had come off, and when I got in the car and closed the door, the actuator arm slipped off the pin and dropped down on the window end. Later, when I turned the crank to raise the window, it rotated the toothed arc all the way to the end of the arc, disengaging it from the crank pinion. Being spring loaded, it whirled down, striking a window adjustment bracket, wedging the toothed arc against the bracket and making the loud noise I heard. With my son-in-law's help, we were able to bow the adjustment bracket enough to free the toothed arc, rotate it back up to the crank pinion and mesh them back together. We found the clip in the bottom of the door cavity, reinstalled the actuator arm and snapped the clip back on. The window works like it's supposed to, again. The pin was bent, so I need to replace it (along with a total refurb of all four window mechanisms and seals), but at least I can raise the window again, which is a good thing now that cold weather is here. Thanks for everyone's input.
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Good to hear Jim. At least nothing was broke. Don't you just love trying to get your hands up in that small area while working on the window? :roll:

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

loman wrote:Good to hear Jim. At least nothing was broke. Don't you just love trying to get your hands up in that small area while working on the window? :roll:
Yeah, it was even more fun getting my son-in-law's hands and mine in there at the same time, but there was no way I could get the leverage to bow the brace out of the way, rotate the regulator arm against the spring tension and turn the crank handle at the same time. :roll: Got 'er done, though. :D
Jim