64 Comet newbie in San Diego

Let everyone know a little about yourself
RideAndShoot

64 Comet newbie in San Diego

Post by RideAndShoot »

I’ve never owned one, and now I do. Got it recently and haven’t done anything to it except drive it yet because of a recent surgery. I’ve always been a Ford guy, but mostly trucks. I started chopping motorcycles as a hobby for myself and buddies and eventually was asked to cut up some cars. I’ve done some minor customizing and building for friends until last year. Last year a friend wanted to chop his ‘68 Impala hardtop, so I did. Did a lot of reading and took some metal shaping and chop classes and cut it down 4”. Did a lot more custom work to it including all new dash, rear deck, shaved body holes etc. But enough about a Chevy. I was looking for a body style like the comet and stumbled upon a running, titled, rust-free one in my area with all the trim for $2,500 and I jumped at it. I do plan on chopping the roof down, although I realize that may be sacreligious to some of you. I’m here to learn as much as I can, and hopefully add some input when I have any ideas or firsthand experience.
Me in it as she sits now.
Me in it as she sits now.
78E43D1D-AFBB-4AC7-882B-21FADED612C4.jpeg (192.32 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
My rough plans for it.
My rough plans for it.
0100506B-97DB-465A-9B8C-4053267F7536.jpeg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

popscomet

Re: 64 Comet newbie in San Diego

Post by popscomet »

WELCOME,your rough plan don't look bad...in fact I've often thought the top looked just a tad to high on a sedan to start with...good luck....just leave it ford pwrd !!! POP
pop/glenda

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks! I plan on leaving it Ford. I know an LS swap is all the rage now, but then what would set it apart. If I do upgrade the drivetrain, it’ll be a Ford motor. Although this car is gonna be a cruiser and not so much a hot rod.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D I like the chopped top!it will be a lot of work but definitely will set it apart from anything else. if the roof was a tad lower in front than in back would give it a more sinister look. maybe you could photoshop one. Have fun with it! :D
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool I like the '64 sedan for some reason :roll: well it is my favorite car in the world :P

I guess I like my head room so chopping isn't something I would do (even if I could)

Welcome on look forward to seeing progress.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! I see the 4-lug wheels, so I'm assuming it's a 6-cyl? Straight or auto?
Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sweet little ride. Like Pop I always thought the sedans roofs looked too tall. A chop on your ride is gonna look bitchen!
Welcome!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OF course choppin the top calls for FAT MOMMA TIRES AND WHLS so that it all goes hand in hand,,a cool sounding snott gobblein V8,ain't bad neither....good luck in which ever path you choose to take it on. 8) (the cool factor will be there)...........pop
pop/glenda

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

It’s the 404. My understanding is it has the big straight 6. It’s the 2 speed. I don’t know a ton about these or this one yet, but I’m learning quickly. First thing will be a brake upgrade and then maybe up to the Granada steering. Reading on here looks like the 351 with C4 will fit, but the 302 is easier? I have to problem notching the shock towers however I need to and reinforcing them and removing the bracing arch from the tranny tunnel. I don’t have a garage or rotisserie though, so it’ll all be done in my alley/street. Ha!

And yes, although I’m a youngish guy, I’m not a fan of giant rims. So maybe 17/18 wheel combo with as much meat as will fit. Thinking about tubbing it out back too to fit more meat and suspension and rear drivetrain beefing up down the line. Also considering making a set of fender skirts, since I haven’t yet seen anyone do that. It would also hide bigger tire back there.

Any thoughts and input or my direction is welcomed.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

RideAndShoot wrote:Also considering making a set of fender skirts, since I haven’t yet seen anyone do that.
Check eBay you might find a set, I know that Foxcraft (I think that is right) did make them report at least up to a few years ago.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks LAVRON, I scooped up the only set on there. Birthday present from the wife. I’m seeing a bit about radios while
searching, but haven’t found anyone offering a direct bolt in replacement without sending out the factory unit. Am I looking in the wrong locations? I do want a decent radio/stereo, but don’t want to sacrifice the original look.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Classic Car Stereos has a pretty good selection...probably others also. 351 will fit but header selection gets even worse (without notching the towers - Crites sells kits for that & for mini-tubbing the rear. Shucks, I think the Comet looks good as is...a set of gray TTD's and roll it! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Glenn M.

Post by Glenn M. »

I apologize for not being a body man, but I'd like to ask:
If you chop the top at all, what do you do about the glass? I'm interested in whether you'll keep the wing vents or go to 'full' front door glasses; do you chop the windshield and back glass, or lower them into the body?
I like the top on yours as it is, but a chop would make for an interesting car!
Thanks,
Glenn M.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Glenn M. wrote:I apologize for not being a body man, but I'd like to ask:
If you chop the top at all, what do you do about the glass? I'm interested in whether you'll keep the wing vents or go to 'full' front door glasses; do you chop the windshield and back glass, or lower them into the body?
I like the top on yours as it is, but a chop would make for an interesting car!
Thanks,
Glenn M.

I’m far from an expert on this stuff as well considering I’ve only chopped a couple cars. The windshield I plan on laying back, so I may not evevn have to cut it. Not sure til I get out the sawzall though. The wing windows are flat, so it’ll be easy to have a glass company make me a pair to my specs. The door glass just won’t roll up as far. The rear window I think I’m gonna have to ‘sink’ the glass into the trunk. When it done, you won’t know it’s sunk though. The rear side windows I’m gonna see about dropping the tracks so they can lower more than halfway.

A good buddy gave me a nice Grant steering wheel and my adapter came in today so I got that mounted.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BauT1rRgwym/

Also started on getting the door poppers and alarm/remote installed today. Driver door inside and outside handles are removed, solenoid is installed and pops the door perfectly! This stuff is slow going because doing it in a neckbrace sucks! Had my spine fused on Oct 2nd. Lol. Trying to take it easy as I can.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maybe you could just lean the back window forward instead of sinking it. The c pillar is pretty thick so lots of room to lean at top.
Johno