Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Rocket989

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by Rocket989 »

That’s not that bad. I didn’t even know there was anything left that close.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

loman

Post by loman »

The new tires didn't rub and with the cal tracs installed the car went straight. Success.

loman

Post by loman »

loman wrote:I tore down the race motor today. I had a lot of thrust bearing issues when I first ran the motor. I finally got that sorted out a couple of years ago. After 3 seasons of beating on it, the thrust bearing showed no signs of wear. :D . I am very happy about that. However, I did notice what I believe to be main cap walk. I noticed it on 3 of the 5 caps. I also noticed some wear in a couple of cylinders. Hopefully I can take it by the machine shop in the next couple of weeks and decide what needs to be done.
I tore down the rest of the race motor to just the block. I also took a picture of the #4 main cap and you can see the discoloration on the block and cap from the cap walk.
Attachments
cap walk.jpg
cap walk.jpg (167.47 KiB) Viewed 4705 times

loman

Post by loman »

Got my 460 block back from the machine shop on Friday. They weren't to concerned about the cap walk. They said I shouldn't have any problems. So yesterday I washed the block with soap and water and oiled the cylinder walls. Then I did some painting using my favorite color, Ford blue. Depending on how I feel today, I might put the crank in and start filing piston rings.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1608.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1608.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 4673 times

Groover

Post by Groover »

what's not to love?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Exactly Groove-man!! Big inches = biggie smiles! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

well, always heard BIGGER IS BETTER :!: :!: :wink:
pop/glenda

StPro

Post by StPro »

Downsizing is not an option.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

loman

Post by loman »

I started reassembly of the motor yesterday and buttoned up the bottom and front of the motor today. I'm at a stopping point until Comp Cams gets finished with my lifters. Since I got the shed warm, I'm headed back out in a few to start cleaning up some of my mess. Believe it or not I haven't even had a beer yet, no wonder I got so much done. I think that is about to change very soon. :lol:
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1627.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1627.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 4618 times

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's a pretty nice "shed" you got there, Loman, from what I can see of it. :mrgreen:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:I started reassembly of the motor yesterday and buttoned up the bottom and front of the motor today. I'm at a stopping point until Comp Cams gets finished with my lifters. Since I got the shed warm, I'm headed back out in a few to start cleaning up some of my mess. Believe it or not I haven't even had a beer yet, no wonder I got so much done. I think that is about to change very soon. :lol:
I think to get your moneys worth, for the price of heating up the garage in these temps, after you get it cleaned you need to stay out there & drink beer the rest of the night. :D A man needs to save money where he can! :P :P
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Jims65cyclone wrote:That's a pretty nice "shed" you got there, Loman, from what I can see of it. :mrgreen:
Jim
Thanks Jim! When I bought the 30' x 65' shed, they threw in a house with it :D . At least that's what my friends say. It's also a very thrifty shed. I insulated the entire shed with used insulation and used drywall, price $0.00. That fits my budget. The heater was being thrown away from one of my previous jobs in a remodel. It's an industrial dock heater. I converted it from natural gas to propane and I had to buy a gas tank, used of course. I'm king of the thrifty. Also, the engine stand was free, someone dropped it off at the local parts store where my buddy worked. I "hauled" it off for them and slapped a set of free casters on it.

loman

Post by loman »

poboyjo65 wrote:
loman wrote:I started reassembly of the motor yesterday and buttoned up the bottom and front of the motor today. I'm at a stopping point until Comp Cams gets finished with my lifters. Since I got the shed warm, I'm headed back out in a few to start cleaning up some of my mess. Believe it or not I haven't even had a beer yet, no wonder I got so much done. I think that is about to change very soon. :lol:
I think to get your moneys worth, for the price of heating up the garage in these temps, after you get it cleaned you need to stay out there & drink beer the rest of the night. :D A man needs to save money where he can! :P :P
Johno, I think you are right. However, I decided to call it a night. I got 4 degrees right now and now back in the house. I don't know how Fred and everyone else does it up north. To cold for me.
While I was cleaning up and drinking a couple of cans of thinking juice, I started another project. I took my tranny cooler off of the radiator and decided to make some type of metal bracket to mount it instead of the plastic zip ties that go thru the radiator fins. I got looking at it and 2 of the plastic nuts on the zip ties are gone, and all 4 of the plastic pins are bent to heck.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

loman wrote:It's also a very thrifty shed. I insulated the entire shed with used insulation and used drywall, price $0.00. That fits my budget. The heater was being thrown away from one of my previous jobs in a remodel. It's an industrial dock heater. I converted it from natural gas to propane and I had to buy a gas tank, used of course. I'm king of the thrifty. Also, the engine stand was free, someone dropped it off at the local parts store where my buddy worked. I "hauled" it off for them and slapped a set of free casters on it.
You and Lavron should collaborate. Between the two of you, you could have a great place to work and a really neat Comet project with practically no investment. :lol: :lol:
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
loman wrote:It's also a very thrifty shed. I insulated the entire shed with used insulation and used drywall, price $0.00. That fits my budget. The heater was being thrown away from one of my previous jobs in a remodel. It's an industrial dock heater. I converted it from natural gas to propane and I had to buy a gas tank, used of course. I'm king of the thrifty. Also, the engine stand was free, someone dropped it off at the local parts store where my buddy worked. I "hauled" it off for them and slapped a set of free casters on it.
You and Lavron should collaborate. Between the two of you, you could have a great place to work and a really neat Comet project with practically no investment. :lol: :lol:
Jim
It must be a Missouri thing.