Roy Pool

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Comechero65

Re: Roy Pool

Post by Comechero65 »

I did make it to the memorial for Roy in the Comechero. It was Dougs special request to bring it so just had to be there in it. Got to visit with Joe and also meet a fellow member from TFFN. Was great to meet Doug and Kris. Would have liked to meet any others whom I may have had contact with had i know who they were. Name badges would have helped identify everyone.

Was great hearing the blue comet fired up. Was almost like Roy was right there with us. The ultimate would have been to see it taking a run with tires smoking, front end in the air and making that awesome sound of power.

Was a large group of people and some nice cars. My thanks to the Pool family for doing such a nice job hosting this memorial and car show get together. Was our chance to honor such a special man. He will be missed.

Ron

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

comethead wrote:Loman the entire front clip and doors on Roys car are fiberglass. I guesss he didn't want to drill holes to add the weight of the emblems. But he did keep the Caliente trim on the bottom.
I agree it gives the car a clean look.
One thing that always amazed me about his car is how CLEAN it is. And I mean Roy did excellent work. All his mods were tidy and looked professional. Everything looked in place and add to that it was always dirt and oil free! Pretty amazing for a 10 second drag car.

I'm glad I was able to attend and take some pics for you all.

Joe
Well dang I was there and did not meet any of you guy's. My fault I guess. It seemed like I talked to a ton of people. Roy's doors are stock steel. He lightened them a lot by removing anything not needed including the wing windows and added Lexan. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Brian! I guess the wingless lexan door windows fooled me!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks guys for sharing all the pics and vid in a couple of threads that I have found them.
It would have been an honor to be there, my heart was there but I couldn't be because of my own family events.
Mine were very pleasant ones though, a new granddaughter.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Sassy, Wish you could have been there. It was a nice memorial and car show. Congratulations on the new granddaughter. Apparently Brian was there but never saw him or got to meet him. Joe made it and one fellow from TFFN. There might have been others but I wouldn't know who they were.
Got some pics so click on Roys pics to see them in my folder.
They fired up the blue comet in this pic and it was an incredible sound. Almost like Roy was there with us. Brings tears to the eyes. :cry:
Ron

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

SASSY wrote:Thanks guys for sharing all the pics and vid in a couple of threads that I have found them.
It would have been an honor to be there, my heart was there but I couldn't be because of my own family events.
Mine were very pleasant ones though, a new granddaughter.
Fred
Congrats Fred. Sent you a PM.

Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

comethead wrote:Thanks Brian! I guess the wingless lexan door windows fooled me!
I looked at your car and the other Comets. I would like to copy the way Roy did the windows. I like the wingless look. Brian
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

loman

Post by loman »

b.guggenmos wrote:
comethead wrote:Thanks Brian! I guess the wingless lexan door windows fooled me!
I looked at your car and the other Comets. I would like to copy the way Roy did the windows. I like the wingless look. Brian
I didn't notice the wingless windows either. I went back and looked, and I like it! Did his windows still roll down or did he remove the regulators also to lighten up the car? I was also wondering about the new hood. His scoop looks a lot like the one on my other car but a tad bigger. Does anyone know where he got the scoop or measurements of it and pictures of the underneath side to how he funneled the air to the carb?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pretty sure windows didnt roll down.
He commented on driving it the odd time without air and fixed windows.
I remember him saying he had trouble finding someone to rechrome the wing window frames after he removed the wing window pivot.
He also mentioned the new hood, stock steel and type of scoop in a thread
somewhere discussing 'glass hoods, but forget where.
I dont think Roy ever posted a pic of anything and dont remember anyone putting up a pic of the new hood.
There are a couple of recent pics somewhere of the car with the hood open,, maybe Comethead posted them,,,
Fred
Edit
Click on the pic of Roys car in Rons post above. It takes you to his bucket and a couple pics past the first one is a pic of the engine compartment showing the sealing method.
Last edited by SASSY on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

I believe the scoop he used is a Boss 429 mustang reproduction he picked up from NPD.
Looks like they carry a bolt-on type and a plain type.

I'll check to see if I have pics of the inside of the hood.

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I ran across this little article about Roy;
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/shop-tal ... -thoughts/
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

That is super cool. Thanks for sharing.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I had the opportunity to listen to the story and see where the shoot was all while riding shotgun with Roy in his F350!
I think a lot or us me included that have built our car/cars dream to be in an auto mag like hotrod.
The fact that Roy has been puts him on a level to look up to in my world.
To anyone who is in a position like the guy that photoed Roy;s car,,, careful you dont embarass him
if you see a tear in his eye at the shoot.
Fred

comethead

Post by comethead »

Cool article Johnnie. Thanks!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here are some video's that Roy's son Doug found of him at the races way back when . Here are links to the videos & a shot of Roy from one of them :D ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMJ-CJyAVNA&t=203s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNUBeVIvEvE&t=87s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5ZVCw4R5E&t=138s
Thanks for sharing these with us Doug! :D

Johno