My 2018 So Far!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

My 2018 So Far!

Post by lavron »

It is a new year and I have no complaints even if it is cold.

On New Years Eve we were getting to ready to head to Church when I noticed an ice flow down the hill in front of the house, and it has not rained in a bit, I thought that can't be good.

Well to make a really long story short(er) I had my main water line coming into the house break someplace under the concrete floor slab, I still had water but I had to turn off the pump because the water would immediately drain back out the leak and turn the pump back on, I ended up putting a valve in the line between the pump and pressure tank and could cycle the pump occasionally to fill the pressure tank and have water to at least flush the toilets a few times.

This is the bad part, I called a plumber (several), on New Years Day, during some of the coldest weather we have had, thus far, here in MO, of the few that called me back (and one who came out and looked at it) I was a week or two out and getting anyone out fix it (replace the line) I scheduled the one guy who showed up preparing myself for the $1,000+ work to be done replacing the line, said he would call me a day or so before they were to show up so I could get stuff ready, after a week I had not heard back from him so I told my wife I would just do it myself. So I just dug the ditch from the house to the well by hand, went and got the stuff to fix it and rented a core drill so I could cut a 2" hole through the concrete wall for the new pipe, and a pump to remove the water that kept collecting around the well, ended up spending around $300 to fix it with probably about half that cost in the drill and pump rental (I did not figure in the Tylenol I had to take)

But I got it done (mostly) and am back in water like fancy folks, I am grateful I had three days of nice weather to work in before the second freeze rolled in, and of course that I have the ability to do a job like this.

Mostly why I do stuff myself :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: My 2018 So Far!

Post by popscomet »

APPEARS to me your back was to the wall and you had to bite the bullet and do it yourself !! so congrats on a job well done....pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Way to go Mike. Good job. I'm sure your wife is proud of ya.
tomb's 65

loman

Post by loman »

Doing it yourself should have saved you some cash. I guess that means the cash you saved goes towards the Comet.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:Doing it yourself should have saved you some cash. I guess that means the cash you saved goes towards the Comet.
I was thinkin same thing!!! Plumbing in cold weather should pay good!!!
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:Doing it yourself should have saved you some cash. I guess that means the cash you saved goes towards the Comet.
We will see :roll: Really right now I would like more time than money (not that money would hurt anything)

I really need to be getting that block to the machine shop.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That's a crappy way to ring in New Years but sounds like ya got it fixed-up!! Are you just having the machine shop tank the block, bore, and put in new cam bearings??
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Are you just having the machine shop tank the block, bore, and put in new cam bearings??
Yes and deck it after we determine how much it needs cut to zero it, plus pressing my new pistons on the new rods. The rest, besides some yet to be determined headwork, I will do myself.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread