Camber thoughts?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lip Ripper

Camber thoughts?

Post by Lip Ripper »

Well, I checked camber on the present build. (Caster is fine) Ideally I was looking for zero or a slight negative camber. Each side is exactly 1/2 degree positive. Given the difficultly of removing 1/8" shims and putting back 1/16" I'm thinking drive it. Thoughts?

Edit; in looking at my old notes I figured 1/8" shim equals 2/3 of a degree. Anyone else done any shim mathematics?

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Groover

Re: Camber thoughts?

Post by Groover »

Well... looks like you wandered into the deepest of the weeds here. I'm surprised nobody has offered any thoughts yet. Seems to me the book value for camber (at least in 64) was 1/2 degree positive, plus or minus 1/2.

I certainly don't have the answer, but unless you paid a ton of money for the tires, I'd try it and see what happens. Seems after some driving things might settle differently anyway.

I'm sure somebody knows, but at least this thread gets a bump :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I would agree with the drive it. The main thing is the camber is the same on both sides, and your is. . I really don't see it wearing your tires.

Lou

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yeah...especially if you’ve got a decent amount of caster dialed in (as I understand it). I’d drive it...wing a few corners and see how it goes. :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well I'm thinking same as you 2,give it a try. If it settles a little because of new parts or just from driving it may land right where you want it. I just looked at my numbers, didnt have anything wrote down about how much an 1/8'' shim equaled, & don't remember. my numbers +0.15° L & 0.0° R camber, & +3.5 caster both sides,1/16'' toe. drives great.

edit; you 3!
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It's been over 40 years since I had a car on the alignment rack, but I recall that we usually tried to set the driver's side at -1/8* to -1/4*, and the passenger side at 0*. The logic was that the weight of the driver would settle the camber to near 0*, and you always had a driver. :wink: Actually, depending on how ornery a car was to set up, we'd accept a max of +/- 3/4* so long as there wasn't more than 1/2* difference from side to side. Within that range, camber had negligible impact on tire wear. Toe-in is the biggest impact on that, and 1/16" toed-in was the target.
Jim

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I personally like zero but camber or caster for that matter doesn't affect tire wear unless completely out of adjustment. Remember the old VW bug with the leaning wheel rear axle? Tires lasted forever. Bad toe or the dog track deal with a miss aligned rear end wears the tires.