65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, pop. We've had a pretty good week off for sure. During the afternoons and evenings we've started our "paint booth" to get this car shot. After the last endeavor painting outside, I decided to quit fighting wind, bugs, etc and just whip something up. Believe it or not, 2x4s wasn't much more expensive than PVC or other ideas, and I can reuse the materials. I initially was going to use box fans as pullers, but decided to use them as pushers instead for safety reasons. Testing it out and changing speeds a bit turns the air over pretty quick with no noticeable breeze, so it'll do for now, even being a complete monstrosity like it is. Have to fit the fenders and hood to drill for hood pins (forgot that one :evil: ) then we'll get started on paint in earnest. Thanks for looking -

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks good. Is that a filter at the bottom where you're exhausting the air back into the shop? Are those 10' or 12' ceilings? Looks big. :shock:

Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

The 3 filters are covering 3 fans. If I set them all on low it seems ideal to me. Exhaust is through filters at the other end. Ceilings are 12'4". Thanks for looking.

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks good,have known a few other paint booths just like it,,,,,they work good......good luck !! pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Still tying up a few loose ends getting ready for final paint, but that doesn't keep me from continuing to keep making progress on slow days, however small the progress is . . . . Spent a few quiet minutes last night experimenting with ideas for my aluminum gage bezel and I think I'll go with this engine turned finish in the end. Closer every day. . . . .

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks good. 8)
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So I'm a victim of a quick "squirrel!" moment just like everyone else . . . . . Disassembling today, prepping for paint, but spent an hour or so last night playing with my dash pieces. Not perfect, but different. Moving along . . . . .

Dan

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I like ‘em Dan! And looks a heckuva lot better than a folded, black rattle-canned piece of sheet metal - ask me how I know! :) :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

They look great Dan0! :D
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks fellas. It's been a nice reprieve from the non stop thrash to get to paint. My original plan was to drive it this spring, but with the work issues and other stuff it ain't gonna happen. Maybe next spring though . . . But, assembled for the last time, I hope, hood pins are done, gage cluster finished for now, disassembled and final wet sanding is in progress. I might not be close yet, but it feels like it! As for the hood pins, i originally bought A kit from summit or somewhere and it seemed like junk.
I ended up making my own and tossing everything from the kit except the cables and the keeper rings. Pins are 1/2" 316 SS bolts i drilled and rounded off, hood plates are the left over aluminum drops from my gage panel attached with hex head 1/4×20's. Simple, but way more rugged than the kit. Again, thanks for looking -

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:I might not be close yet, but it feels like it!
Every step is one step closer to git'n 'er done. :D Everything looks great!
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So it's been slow going, especially being a novice painter but wanting to do it all myself. Been dealing with a long outage at work, a few health concerns and some family issues so the 65 hasn't seen a lot of progress, but we're getting there. One thing I've discovered - metallic is quite difficult to get just right, so I've shot several test panels in preparation before I shoot the car. That being said, bumpers are done now and I'm happy to finally have some final color laid down . . . . .

Thanks for looking -

Dan

loman

Post by loman »

Those bumpers look like they turned out pretty nice!

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

They look awesome from here.
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

It is my opinion, at the ripe old age of 42 ;) that a fella has to know his limitations. Apparently, paint is mine LOL. :mrgreen: Small items with curves, like bumpers, I was able to shoot pretty well. Then, I went to my test hood, an old rusty 64 comet item I've had since my convertible, and my experience (or lack of) showed :mrgreen: for sure then. The heavy metallic of the color i chose complicated the issue, of course, but I persevered on. That is, until I realized I wasn't going to become an expert in another month, or 6, I called in a pro. So, as of today, the 65 is at my buddies shop, awaiting paint. It should be in color this week, then hopefully back home next weekend . . . Pics to come soon - in 2017 Ford Magnetic Metallic, of course!

Dan