convert a 65 4 door into a 2 door

Discussions about general body work and modifications
luisbastias

convert a 65 4 door into a 2 door

Post by luisbastias »

hello, i´m new on this forum and i have a 65´comet 202 4 door sedan and i´m converting it into a 2 door... my question is if some of you have done this before. I would appreciate if you can help me especially with the doors measures.

thank you very much. :D :D :D

wvfarmboy

Re: convert a 65 4 door into a 2 door

Post by wvfarmboy »

verry interesting< can you post picturs? be easier to just sell it and get a 2 dr.

luisbastias

Post by luisbastias »

wvfarmboy wrote:verry interesting< can you post picturs? be easier to just sell it and get a 2 dr.
yeah, it would be much more easier to do that, but in my country there isn't any 1965 2 door comets
Attachments
that´s the car, obviously now i remove the pillar and move it to the back of the car, but to make it more original i need to know the measures of the doors
that´s the car, obviously now i remove the pillar and move it to the back of the car, but to make it more original i need to know the measures of the doors
comet 1.png (249.36 KiB) Viewed 3673 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I measured my 2 dr hardtop & it is 48 5/8'' long just above the door handle. what country are you in?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

jmo...I'd leave it 4door.....it'll never have that wow facter !! just my opinion,,,,good luck with ever way you decide to go...you ask...I told you...…...POP
pop/glenda

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

That's a fairly common conversion on the mid 60's mopar products. Without a doubt it is a lot of work and really takes a few 2 door parts to make it work out right. That said, if 2 doors aren't available where you are and that is what you want, why not go for it? Make the car what you want. Other opinions really shouldn't count.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Assuming you move ahead, please post lots of photos :shock: :o :D
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Most important are you wanting to convert it to a hardtop or sedan? Hardtop would require a new roof as well. If I was doing it I would buy a set of whoever doors and go for it!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

this guy did something kind of similar. he started with a 4 dr wagon.now it's a 2dr,chopped top,laid back windshield which is now a hardtop windshield, ( 3-4'' shorter than sedan windshield),I think he said he used the top leading edge of a HT roof,,,and made it a sedan delivery. I believe he said he got the B pillar & part of the quarter. & looks like vent windows from a hardtop.

you can see the difference next to this falcon sedan delivery
Johno

luisbastias

Post by luisbastias »

poboyjo65 wrote:I measured my 2 dr hardtop & it is 48 5/8'' long just above the door handle. what country are you in?
hi, thanks for the precious info, i appreciate it a lot now i can continue with my project. I´m from chile and the measurement are in inches right? by the way you have a very nice car, congratulations it's awesome.

luisbastias

Post by luisbastias »

bigdan wrote:Most important are you wanting to convert it to a hardtop or sedan? Hardtop would require a new roof as well. If I was doing it I would buy a set of whoever doors and go for it!

Dan
sedan, hard top would be nice, but as i said before i haven´t seen any 65 2 door comets in my country... i mean there are some, but from other years. the other option was a falcon sprint, but the models available were already restored.

luisbastias

Post by luisbastias »

thank you very much guys for your help, I appreciate it. soon i´ll post some pictures of the process.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

luisbastias wrote: the measurement are in inches right?
Yes 48 & 5/8 inches.
luisbastias wrote: by the way you have a very nice car, congratulations it's awesome.
Thanks you ! :D
Johno