65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
poboyjo65

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by poboyjo65 »

I cant blame you. it's out of my league too. Sometimes you gotta pass the buck to someone else. do something on the side to pay for it if you have to,something that comes easy for you,like metal work. :D
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:I cant blame you. it's out of my league too. Sometimes you gotta pass the buck to someone else. do something on the side to pay for it if you have to,something that comes easy for you,like metal work. :D
I gave it my best effort, but it would've took another year to get it right :mrgreen: so I decided to punt. If I had went with a solid base color I might could've gotten it in time, but . . . . . you're right, poboy. I may trade out work with him and do a little fab work in exchange. We'll figure it out I'm sure. Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So, work continues. I've wanted to run a fuel cell in this project since the beginning. I had a had a repop tank with a bashed in top, so I cut out the top, smoothed everything out and then built a bracket setup to hold the cell. Cell is 15 gallon, foam filled, with an integral fuel level sender. Drilled a bunch of holes to make it look cool . . . :lol: . . . then bent up the top strap to finish it off. Moving along.

Oh yeah, and this happened too. . . . .
It's not perfect, but the flake laid out beautifully. In the sun it's amazing.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I gotta admit I’m not a fan of fuel cells in street cars but your work looks great!

And the paint...beautiful man!!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nice work on the cell .but that paint is beautiful! I have seen some 65's with the side trim with no insert that really looked great. just body color showing in the middle. what is your plan? from a distance with the alum inserts the chrome trim kinda blends in with the alum & almost looks like a white stripe down the side. but without the alum inserts the trim really stands out. some cars look great with it but maybe it's the darker ones that look better with out it.I bet black inserts would look good too with your black wheels. But these cars look good no matter how it is.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks fellas.

Poboy, plan is to install all original factory trim except the middle piece from the side trim, so you're right on the money. I've kicked around black on the middle trim piece, but don't plan on it right now. The plan is still gloss black on the wheels with chrome trim rings and spiders, so maybe installing the insert in the side trim in the wheel color would be the way to go? Thoughts?

Regardless, the 65 isn't home yet, but should be by hopefully weekend after next. Right off we'll install the locker and then run brakes and fuel liners. Then, steering box rebuild, start pulling the harness, etc. Brakes will all be AN3 for a little easier install, fuel will be AN6, probably a mechanical pump for now. With the pile of parts I have on hand, we shouldn't get bored for a while. And, of course, engine last LOL.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea if you start out without the insert you can always add it later.That would be my choice. but if you run it for a while it may mess the paint up ,just by dirt getting trapped & with the vibration ...well you've seen how it looks to take it off an old car so you know what I mean. It'll look good no matter which way you do it. :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Dan! 8)
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So now that we're in color, I've been spending my free time blasting and painting all of the little items (hood latch, column, brackets here and there, misc interior pieces) prepping to start putting this car together.

And in the back of my mind, I've not made one final decision - wheel color. I've always planned gloss black with a trim ring and spiders. Lately, though, the idea of body color wheels keeps popping in my head.

I've got time, but just looking for input. The 65 should be home this weekend!

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My 2 cents; stick with the plan,see it out. you can always change it.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am partial to and old style look with the painted wheels, I know my Comet came with body colored wheels, however I painted them black, so go figure.

I think black with chrome trim rings would look great, I am not sure what the spiders are.

I guess I like a nice clean look, that is why I have been blacking some of chrome out and leaving just accents.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

That makes sense fellas; I'll aim for the gloss black. Lavron, spiders are the one piece chrome bullet centers retained by the lug nuts; I might also go with just lug nuts and push through caps. Summit is stocking the 17" trim ring now so that's pretty cool; I'm ready to get this thing together!

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:My 2 cents; stick with the plan,see it out. you can always change it.
What Johno said. 8)
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

It would seem that I don't have enough to do these days! The 65 will come home from my buddies shop either this weekend or possibly next, which is like waiting on Christmas, then this happened.

Pal of mine decided to get rid of his 64 F100 "rat rod" to thin his herd out a bit, so it ended up here with me. Ill play around with it a little while debating whether to DD it, pass it on or let my oldest drive it a while, not really sure. Currently a fresh 292 / 4 speed / LWB. Plotting possibly shortening the bed and driving it a while. No, it's not bagged; M2 up front and notched in the rear. Didn't need it, but the price was right and IMO cool as heck. Nothing like staying busy but at least I won't get bored! :wink:

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Pretty cool truck, I wish I had kept my '62 short bed with the 302 Police Interceptor but my buddy wanted the engine and the old truck would of needed a lot TLC I couldn't give it so I decided to let it go.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058