Seeking Steering Box

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Adams

Seeking Steering Box

Post by Adams »

Hello All, Can anyone suggest where I might find a steering gear box for a 62 Comet? (New or rebuilt). I’m in Texas, but stuff can be shipped anywhere these days of course. Thanks, Chris

bigdan

Re: Seeking Steering Box

Post by bigdan »

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/p ... 03/FR1497Q

Restoration Parts Source has rebuild kits as well.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks....I didn’t see one for a 62 Comet on their site, but I’ve emailed them. Chris

Adams

Post by Adams »

Can anyone verify if a 62 Falcon and 62 Comet have the same steering gear box? I found one for a Falcon, but need it for my Comet. Also, anyone have experience with sector shaft adjustment? Thanks

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

They’re the same. Verify it’s fir your Comet with at least casting/date code & the tag (if present) will help also. Approach any in car adjustments with A LOT of caution.

You can loosen the nut & tighten in quarter-turn increments. I wouldn’t go past a quarter turn period. Check to make sure the box is packed full of grease first!! The black moly-lithium stuff from WalMart is like 4 bucks a tube & works great.

If you’re interested in rebuilding yours I’ve got good instructions.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey Rocket....I wouldn't mind a copy of those instructions. :D
Jim

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks, Rocket. I did fill the case with Moly grease. The gear turns nice and easy, and I really don’t have any serious steering problems, but I’ve got the usual two-or-so inch play (in each direction). I will eventually be doing the whole front end, and would like to have a great steering box to top it off. The car only has 41k original, and nothing is too loose on the front end, but at that age, I’d like it all to be new, especially the ball joints.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I heard Randy Milner (owner of Melvins ) say on FB the other day that they now had new sector boxes for 64 & 65, which is a little shorter than 63 on back. & you would need the proper column tube. & I think he said 499$ so kinda high but at least there are some out there now.
Johno

BJB

Post by BJB »

poboyjo65 wrote:I heard Randy Milner (owner of Melvins ) say on FB the other day that they now had new sector boxes for 64 & 65, which is a little shorter than 63 on back. & you would need the proper column tube. & I think he said 499$ so kinda high but at least there are some out there now.
For that money I'd rather invest in rack and pinion.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

BJB wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I heard Randy Milner (owner of Melvins ) say on FB the other day that they now had new sector boxes for 64 & 65, which is a little shorter than 63 on back. & you would need the proper column tube. & I think he said 499$ so kinda high but at least there are some out there now.
For that money I'd rather invest in rack and pinion.
I've not used one of the rack and pinion conversions, but all of my digging when I started my 65 kept pointing towards bump steer issues with the rack kits. Again, not my experience, just what I've read and heard others talk about. I rebuilt my 65 box carefully (used a kit from Restoration Parts Source) and it is wonderfully tight now, with almost no play to speak of. Kind of aggravating to interpret the torque specs from the factory manual, but seems to have been worth it.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

BJB

Post by BJB »

I hear you on bump steer but there are many R&P systems out there to chose from. B/S was an issue to a degree with all the early Falcons and I suspect Comets until the steering arms were modified in '65.

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Jim - I sent ya a PM but doesn’t look like you’ve read yet! :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Rocket...I left on vacation the day you sent it and just got back last night. Been playin' catch-up. :roll: I'll reply.
Jim