65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by popscomet »

POP, is all for a falcon at the comet gathering,it's a FORD,besides a man can drive what ever he wants to the show,,guys with Pontiacs stopped by,,,KEVIN drove his MOPAR one yr,,,and left it parked next to my comet one night...that was the time my starter sounded kinda silly next morning and when I got it home I found some surface rust on the rear bumper :shock: :? besides I for one want to see DAN'S FALCON,and shake his hand,and his sons....I like FORDS.... 8) :D :) :lol:
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I hear you, Pop. Gotta watch out for those Mopars! I'm hoping to be done in time to take a ride up that way in June, but there's a long way to go between now and then.

All excuses aside, I should be back down on all 4 wheels this coming weekend, so I can start installing trim, weatherstrip, glass, harness and interior.

And my 331 rotating assembly is scheduled to arrive today, so we'll be off to the machine soon as well. I'll just keep plugging along and eventually it'll be done i hope!

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

One little update before the weekend; rotating assembly is here, so it's time to get several irons in the fire of course! I'm using a steel Eagle crank, rods, forged Mahle pistons, 28 oz balance.

On a different note, I'm starting to pick around at trim and starting with the stainless roof rails. Thoughts on sealing the roof rail trim pieces before the weatherstrip goes in? My car originally had the factory monkey sh#t (not sure of the technical name - putty of some kind?) between the roof rail and body, but not sure if I want to go back with it or something else.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Ok, picture dump update. Suspension and steering are reassembled. With no weight on the front end yet, I stuck a pair of old mustang springs I had in to let it sit level (trimmed a coil off) so I didn't overextend the shocks. A keen eye will notice the 65 Mustang shock caps and shocks; mainly because I wanted a lower attachment point (to keep the shock bolt away from my cross brace) than the Falcon caps allow. Brakes are complete, weatherstrip is now in progress. I'll figure out how I want to seal the roof rail stainless, then I'll do the roof rails before doors and quarters. To be honest, I'm dreading it, but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll drop the 331 off at the machine shop hopefully this week, and start the harness when I'm bored. Finally feel like I can see a light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for looking -

Dan

(That's a rag keeping the trunk lid from slamming until I can get the latch, etc installed)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

and that's some light at that end of the tunnel....thumbs up !!!.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I like the fender braces, you made those? I probably need to re-read your thread.

I will be engineering some sort brace for my Comet, I also liked what Pops/Dwayne did on the Rusty Relic, so I will steal an idea from someone eventually :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, pop and lavron! Loving the progress for sure.

Lavron, I did build the tower brace several years back in an effort to be different, and have a little more room than the factory braces.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So the plan was to keep moving along this weekend, and we made a little progress.

Both sides stainless roof rails are now installed, both roof rail weatherstrip are installed, and . . . . . Both quarter windows are installed and adjusted. I dreaded the quarter window install more than I care to admit due to the amount of jockeying around necessary to get them installed, but I ended up taping and covering everything with cardboard for protection and went at it. Really pleased to have that part behind us, so now I'll rebuild and install the vent windows while I get this engine going.

More later - thanks for looking,

Dan

See? Quarter windows!
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Looking good in the sunshine! :D :lol: :lol: I don’t see any reason not to use the ‘Stang shock tops; opens choices up by A LOT. I learned Comet/Falcon towers are a little shorter than ‘Stangs so depending on suspension setup you may need spacers to prevent the shock from bottoming-out.

I ran 1/2” spacers for a bit but last time I had to take the brace out I left ‘em off. Mine sits anything but low so not worried about it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can’t blame you for not looking forward to glass work...not something most of us do often enough to be comfortable!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Wow Dan that paint job looks beautiful sitting in the sun. My 65 Comet Cyclone needs a paint job,when can I bring it down LOL? I have some relation in Sparta TN. I could visit them after I drop the car off. Anyway your car is making tremendous progress! Andy

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the positive comments, fellas. And i agree - the sun does make the color pop!

Quarter windows were fairly simple once I pulled out the factory manual. I left the guides in place which helped, but to get them in correctly without scratching everything you have to remove all but the rear guide. First one was aggravating, second was a 10 minute cake walk. Only issue i have currently is the weatherstrip needs a little coaching to go around the window frame when its up, but no biggie.

All that being said, I've dreaded the vent windows the most. I've studied on them a bit and attacked the first one last night - not too bad. Glass run was easy, just have to slap the weatherstrip in and it'll be ready to install in the door.

Moving along . . .

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:First one was aggravating, second was a 10 minute cake walk.
I hear you there :P once you figure it out it is usually faster, but not always :roll:

Glad to see it all coming together for you.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:First one was aggravating, second was a 10 minute cake walk.
That's one of those universal laws. Sort of like "A chain hoist is a device for testing the tensile strength of anything you forgot to disconnect". :lol:
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

The saga continues . . . Been working lots of hours this week, so I've just been sneaking in an hour or two here and there late in the evenings. Quarter glass is in, of course, both vent windows are re-weatherstripped, passenger vent window is back installed. One thing I didn't anticipate is how much shop space ill have freed up once this bird is back together! Hoping to have the glass back in the doors this weekend. Headliner is still on backorder I guess, but I haven't found a windshield yet anyway.

If all the stars align, I should also have the 331 at the machine shop quickly, so that'll be another iron in the fire.

Should have a pretty good update soon -

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dan I got a new windshield from an auto glass company similar to safelite. you might try them or another auto glass co. near you.the kind that do it in the parking lot. I just checked & looks like the one I used (Jack Morris) is only in middle & west tn, nashville ,memphis etc, no locations in east tn. they will bring it to you. they said they would have to put it in at their shop & would be extra 100$ but I wanted to do it my self. Just beware of getting a sedan glass which is taller by 3-4'' just measure at the a pillar before he leaves.
Johno