Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
bigdan

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by bigdan »

Nothing like seeing one back on its feet after putting in all that work. Looks great!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks super! :D
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Dang!! Heck yeah!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hey thanks guys, I am really happy with it, but I may have already mentioned that :roll:

I did not spend the whole day making the Comet go up and down because today was the bonus round, if you remember my bonus was the steering column and just to let you know what happened to my first, or so, plan did not pan out, I ordered the lower bearing from Rod & Custom, they said they would contact me for final payment arrangements, never happened, I sent an email and asked what I needed to do, no reply, I was going to call and then decided to see what else I could do, maybe even save a buck or two :roll: needless to say, I started looking for a bearing I could get that would work, when I was at the farm supply store this week I looked at what they had, found a 3/4" bearing with a cam lock collar and a carrier base for about $15, add to that 3 carriage bolts and nuts (they were like $3 a pound, so figure probably less than 1/4 pound) the big expense was the piece of 16 gauge steel for $15 but I only used a small part of it and will use the rest someplace.

I am going to do a writeup on what I did and I am not quite finished yet so until then I will show you this;

You can see I still need to "mill" DD flats on the end of the shaft, that is what is not done yet, also I can't remember how all the top goes back together and need to look up the exploded view for it, I think I left out part of the upper bearing (well left most out for now)

Anyhow I almost made it :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

:!: :!: DING, DING, DING - BONUS - BONUS - BONUS - DING, DING, DING - BONUS - BONUS - BONUS :!: :!:

I was too close yesterday I just couldn't leave well enough alone, after working for a daily newspaper for 22 years you just don't miss deadlines :roll: :P

I got her finished up!

I need to still check that the rack is centered because I get 3 1/2 turns lock to lock, I would think 4 would be more proper but maybe that is right (edit: I just looked it up 3.5 is correct), my right tire may be contacting the torque box/firewall when turned full right as well so I need to check that.

One question for anyone that might know, the steering U-joints came with some long bolts that look like they want you to drill through the steering shafts, you think I need to do that? And if I do, which way on the flat or round?

Been under the weather the last couple of days so I need to take a little time to heal up but, like I said, time to plan month 4 :? I am leaning toward making it stop even though it won't go yet :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:

One question for anyone that might know, the steering U-joints came with some long bolts that look like they want you to drill through the steering shafts, you think I need to do that? And if I do, which way on the flat or round?
I would think on the flats. doesn't seem like there would be enough room to drill the other way, (not enough meat would be left on the outside of the hole) not to mention more to drill.
looks like one already thru the bottom of the middle shaft?
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:looks like one already thru the bottom of the middle shaft?
No that is just one on each side, it doesn't have them 90 degrees apart like the other one, I may just dimple them good instead of going all the way through.

Seems to work good no binding of any kind and I am sure it will be quicker ratio than what it originally had.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Ok month three wrap up, just a summary :roll:

June 15th - July 15th; Pushed into the shed, removed all the drivetrain (front and rear suspension, engine, transmission, exhaust) started installing rear 4-link.

July 15th - August 15th; Finished the rear 4-link install (98%) and started on front M2 install.

August 15th - Sept 15th; Current progress, all suspension components installed, steering installed, airbags installed at least to test.

Here it is, the day I started until today;

Guess not a lot has changed except her attitude :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

loman

Post by loman »

I really like the look of it lowered on the air bags. Looks really good!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

As promised (or threatened :roll: ) here are the steps I used to modify my column on my '64 Comet to use the Mustang II rack & pinion. You have to look back a few pages to see the mods I did on the column tube (from a '65 Mustang) and I am not including them, I used the Mustang column tube because I had it and it was off a floor shift car so I could eliminate the shift mechanisms from my car (save weight :P )

DISCLAIMER: I am no expert this is just how I did it, I am not claiming it is the best or safest way, I take no responsibility if you follow my directions and everything falls apart on you and you crash and die.

Without further adieu here goes (warning long post, lots of pictures)

I bought this bearing and carrier from the local farm supply store, I think the bearing was around $12 and the carrier was $2 or $3, I also bought a piece of 16 gauge steel, $15, and three carriage bolts with nuts to fit the carrier.

I bolted the column tube back in the proper position in the car, the mounting strap actually holds it well.

I used the old gasket from around the steering column to make a pattern. The center hole can be oversized when you cut it out.

I put the pattern in place and screwed it down, then I made a second pattern of the bearing carrier (oversize hole in middle to fit over the tube) and taped it together with a strip running around it. I also used the hose clamp around the tube to mark where I wanted to cut the tube, I was able to scribe a line around the tube at the clamp, I them removed the clamp, the column tube and the pattern carefully.

I then took the pattern and taped it to the sheet steel after carefully removing the strip around the outside, I center punched all the holes.

I traced the pattern on the steel and then drilled all the holes and used a hole saw to cut the center hole, the center hole has to be size of the flange around the bearing carrier. I also used the carrier, after aligning it to the drilled holes, and traced around it.

Then I used a combination of the jigsaw and angle grinder to cut it out, I stayed outside the lines so I could grind it smooth.

Using the two piece metal plate from the car I marked where the plate bends to match the firewall and marked them.

I then bent everything and ground the edges all smooth, it is a little hard to tell in this picture but it is bent. I used my flat bed trailer, a piece of angle iron, some vice grips and a hammer to tap it to shape. The center tab bend is not vital to be correct yet just want to get a good bend on it in the right place.

Now my attention turns back to the column tube, I replaced the hose clamp and moved it about an +-1/8" up the column to compensate for the thickness of the bearing carrier, gasket and 16 gauge steel. The purpose if the hose clamp is to use as a cutting guide so you won't come out real lop sided as you cut around the tube, I just used my cutoff wheel and ride just against the clamp.

After cutting the tube, I used the slots on the bottom of the tube where it aligns with the mounting clamp under the dash and transferred them down to the bottom so I could align the bearing carrier bottom hole to the tube, then I tack welded it on.

I had mentioned earlier about a gasket, I have some leftover pond liner or shower liner and I cut a gasket by using the bearing carrier as a pattern.

At this point I decided not to take pictures for a while for some reason :roll: maybe I was hurrying to get it done. But I bolted the column tube back in the car (with bearing attached) along with the plate, I bolted the column to the plate and bent the tab to the proper angle, I put all the screws in the firewall etc to make sure everything was in the right place and then I tacked a strip of metal along the top between the tab and the plate. Then I took everything back out and fully welded a strip around between the tab and plate, ground everything pretty(ish) and put a coat of primer on it. I had to grind the edge of the carriage bolt heads where they came up next to the tube, and tack welded the bolts to the tube, I did not grind the galvanizing off the bolt heads so they didn't weld real well but really all you need to do is get a tack above them on the tube so they won't back out and you will be fighting to keep them in there as you assemble it. Last I bolted everything together like this. (I also cut the bolts off because they were too long, sorry for the fuzzy picture)

Now everything gets fully bolted back into the car, I cut the steering shaft off of my old box (cut it right on top of the box or you may not have enough shaft) I chamfered the end of the shaft a bit and put it in the car along with all the stuff on the top (steering wheel, upper bearing, etc). I put the lock collar on the bearing as well so I could mark how far down everything went before I added the u-joint.

I pulled the shaft and steering wheel out together (out the top) it made it easier to handle with the wheel attached (your mileage may vary) I then used a DD shaft to mark the end of the steering shaft and used my handheld milling machine (angle grinder) to grind flats on the shaft. I used the u-joint to check as I ground to make sure it went on there ok, I also dimpled the shaft right under the set screw for the u-joint.

Then everything went back in and the lock collar was tightened down, this is how it looks inside, I will put the stock rubber boot back on later so it shouldn't even show.

Last thing I installed the u-joints on each end and cut a piece of 3/4" DD shaft to fit between them (mine was 12") I measured that using the backs of each u-joint where the shaft goes, I cut it near exactly the length because you have to slide the shaft all the way in to one joint to be able to get it into the other (and then it took a little wiggling).

There you have it, it is 3.5 turns lock to lock and is nice and smooth of course it has no weight on it yet :roll: Any questions just let me know if I did not make something very clear.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Cobraguy

Post by Cobraguy »

Looks very good. Can't wait to get mine to that point. I'm going to be mocking mine up this coming week and let you know how tight the oil pump is to the rack. we both know it's going to be close. But from there i can set a plan for oil pan surgery. My thought is to cut the sump on the short horizontal at the front about an inch forward of the downward curve. Cut the sides about 3 1/2" down from the rail. Cut the back on the horizontal part about an inch forward of the rear end wall. Spin the sump 180* and stitch it back together. I'll have to massage or fab a pocket for the oil pump bottom corner like on a fox body 5.0. And the make a new pick up tube.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cobraguy wrote: But from there i can set a plan for oil pan surgery.
Take some pictures so I can see what you do :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Cobraguy

Post by Cobraguy »

I have pics on my phone. How do I get them into a post.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cobraguy wrote:I have pics on my phone. How do I get them into a post.
Depends on how big they are, if they are pretty small you can link directly in the forum, otherwise you will need to use something to size them down.

I use the CometCentral photo site for all mine and size them in PhotoShop before uploading them and then I direct link them on the forum.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Sometimes when I have few minutes I go out to the shed and just turn my steering wheel so I can watch the front tires turn :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread