65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

More progress.

Spent a day or two waiting on a timing pointer. I'm using the M-6059-D351 timing cover, which covers a late roller block ('91 F1 block), with doweled timing cover, with a mechanical fuel pump (keep it simple, stupid, right? :lol:) with a standard rotation short water pump M-8501-E351S. The timing cover being for a later model block includes a mounting bracket cast in for a crank sensor, which makes a timing pointer install interesting. I finally ended up with an adjustable pointer from CVR Racing, then had to come up with spacers and brass bushings to mount it securely, but still have adjustment. Then, of course, dig through the shop looking for LONG 5/16" bolts . . . . but . . . . got it installed, walked the kiddo through finding exact TDC again, so now it appears we're ready to start top end assembly when he and I are off again together.

More later -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Tiny update. Had a day off, so continued on with engine assembly. Spent the day cleaning and installing lifters, heads, etc. Piston to valve checks were good, so I planned to move right along, but . . . Pushrods. Did a quick length check and with my configuration stock 6.248 pushrods were just under 0.100" too long (needed 6.150"); all stop, math math math, call Summit, get lucky, parts on the way. But, there's plenty to do while waiting. Removed a few harness wires I won't need, mounted the coil, etc. Progress, however minor, is still progress LOL.

Dan

loman

Post by loman »

It's kind of nice when you have different areas of the car to work on. While waiting on parts for something, you can just bounce over to something else. Little progress here and there keeps a person motivated, at least it does for me. Keep up the good work.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

loman wrote:It's kind of nice when you have different areas of the car to work on. While waiting on parts for something, you can just bounce over to something else. Little progress here and there keeps a person motivated, at least it does for me. Keep up the good work.
Oh, how ironic! :lol: Shorter pushrods showed up, so plan was to finish the top end today . . . but . . . one was damaged in manufacturing I guess. See the flat spots at the top of the pic? Replacement won't be here today for sure, so, I'll go as far as I can then back to electrical. Thanks for looking -

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

bigdan wrote: Oh, how ironic! :lol: Shorter pushrods showed up, so plan was to finish the top end today . . . but . . . one was damaged in manufacturing I guess.
Had a similar thing happen to me when I was building my 347. ordered pushrods & next day they were here! I couldn't believe it. but they were Comp Cams in Memphis & mail from Memphis comes quick. had they come from Nashville they would have had to go to memphis first & then here :roll: but when I ordered springs & keepers for a 302 about a month or 2 prior I kept getting the wrong size or partial. they had packaged up a bunch of them wrong. I would get 4 -5 of the right ones & the rest would be wrong,they would send me another whole set & still be part of them wrong. it got down to I only needed 2 & they sent another whole set & finally got 16 of the right ones that time. so I had about 14 left over & a couple dozen smaller ones. But after venting about it to a buddy at the engine shop & him laughing at me ,then he ran into the same problem & called me to buy some of my left overs :lol: I got in serious brownie points with those! :wink: :lol:

Your Car is looking badass! love the paint, dash,wheels,motor,all of it,,it's all top notch! :D
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Johno, Summit has always been great, but I feel your pain! Frustrating to wait sometimes. Thanks for the compliments.

After the morning hiccup, I finished playing with engine assembly and went back to wiring. I have 2 more switches to wire up, so ciphered on it a while and stuck them between the gage cluster and the trim panel. The top one is for the electric fan (allows turning the fan off while using a temp switch) and the lower is for setting the rev limit on the tach. Still plodding along -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So there I was, wandering around the shop this morning doing a general tidying up since we're in the "pushrod waiting period," going through instructions, manuals, etc, making sure I was happy thus far when it hit me.

Cam endplay.

Did I check it? Didn't think so. So, checked my notes, nope. Pull balancer, timing cover, rockers, timing chain, blah blah blah - and -

0. Or 0.000. Negligible.

Dang I'm glad I remembered. Comp specifies 0.005"-0.010", so here I am, taking a break from dressing 0.006" off my thrust plate with 400 grit, WD40, and a little humility.

SO glad I remembered now. Live and learn!

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Did I check it? Didn't think so. So, checked my notes, nope.
Dang maybe I should keep notes :P

Glad to hear that I am not the only one that goes out to sweep the floor and end up working on the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: A while back a buddy & I were talking about thinking about what we did when we went to bed after building a motor, how you go thru the steps again in your head. he said once he thought about something he did wrong & could not go to sleep, had to get back up from bed ,get dressed & go back out & tear back in to it. sure enough he had put it together wrong. he said after he tore it back apart he could then go to sleep since he knew he could remember it now. I had mentioned how I have went back out to look at something on a motor I built after going to bed. I sent him this pic not long ago. :lol:

Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

That pic about sums it up, Johno. And lavron, the notes are more too make sure my oldest is paying attention! :mrgreen:

Dan

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Dan, I haven't posted much in your thread but lurk here all the time mostly drulling :lol:
Beautiful workmanship!
Johno, being an old airhead fan I recognize that picture but forget the name of the book could you enlighten me?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:Dan, I haven't posted much in your thread but lurk here all the time mostly drulling :lol:
Beautiful workmanship!
Johno, being an old airhead fan I recognize that picture but forget the name of the book could you enlighten me?
Fred
No,I just found it one day. Old airhead fan? book? maybe you should enlighten me! :lol:
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, SASSY.

After the thrust plate debacle, I went full bore yesterday and ended up . . . Right where I started. Well, except with correct endplay clearance. The thrust plate started at precisely 0.250;" ended up at 0.243"-0.244" to get clearances right.

Dug out the TKO to start piddling with wiring and studying on the hydraulic throw out bearing install.

But still waiting on 1 pushrod. :evil:

Moving along -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So for this week, engine assembly is complete. Now to fit up the hydraulic release bearing, check starter, header and etc clearances quick and get this bad boy in the car. Moving along . . .

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Now to fit up the hydraulic release bearing, check starter, header and etc clearances quick and get this bad boy in the car. Moving along . . .
Two thumbs up Dan.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058