How To Replace Rear Leaf Spring Mounting Plates

The Big Comets
masonjarz

How To Replace Rear Leaf Spring Mounting Plates

Post by masonjarz »

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me a quick how-to regarding replacement of my rear leaf spring mounting plates in my 1967 Caliente.

As you can see by the photo, the PO installed some Caltrac style traction bars and I want to take them out. The Caltracs are welded to the mounting plates.

I bought some new mounting plates and insulators and all I want to do is to replace the ones in there now. I don't want to take the axle out--I'd just like to replace the mounting plates and insulators one side at a time.

I have a good floor jack and some good quality jack stands.

I have a shop manual but that doesn't cover what I want to do. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Attachments
Rear leaf spring mounting plate (2).jpg
Rear leaf spring mounting plate (2).jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

poboyjo65

Re: How To Replace Rear Leaf Spring Mounting Plates

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jack it up put the stands under the framerails on both sides so the wheels are up. Loosen the ubolts on the other side too so it will have some give. you could then take off the ubolts from the side you're working on & jack up the axle to get enough room to get the insulator box & rubber off.after you get the new stuff on leave the ubolts loose until you get the other side done. put the bottom of the shock back on last.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jack the car up by the center of the rear end, put jack stands under the rear end and let the jack down so the car is supported by the jack stands. Remove the lower shock mount nuts, then jack the car off the jack stands and move the stands to the rear sub frame near the rear torque boxes. Let the car downon the jack stands and let the rear end hang on the leaf springs. You can now remove the nuts from the U bolts and remove the trac bar and lower spring pad. The rear end housing will not move, there is a pin on the leaf spring that fits in a hole on the housing spring pad that will hold the housings in place.

Note:
Make sure the car is resting solidly on the stands and use a wheel chock in front of each front wheel before crawling under the car. I prefer to jack both ends of the car up and have the car supported by jacks stands and sitting level.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

masonjarz

Post by masonjarz »

Excellent advice. Thank you both very much! I really appreciate it.

masonjarz

Post by masonjarz »

A/FX wrote:Jack the car up by the center of the rear end, put jack stands under the rear end and let the jack down so the car is supported by the jack stands. Remove the lower shock mount nuts, then jack the car off the jack stands and move the stands to the rear sub frame near the rear torque boxes. Let the car downon the jack stands and let the rear end hang on the leaf springs. You can now remove the nuts from the U bolts and remove the trac bar and lower spring pad. The rear end housing will not move, there is a pin on the leaf spring that fits in a hole on the housing spring pad that will hold the housings in place.

Note:
Make sure the car is resting solidly on the stands and use a wheel chock in front of each front wheel before crawling under the car. I prefer to jack both ends of the car up and have the car supported by jacks stands and sitting level.
Jim
Dumb question but I'm assuming I leave wheels and tires on. Is that right? Thanks again.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

masonjarz wrote:
A/FX wrote:Jack the car up by the center of the rear end, put jack stands under the rear end and let the jack down so the car is supported by the jack stands. Remove the lower shock mount nuts, then jack the car off the jack stands and move the stands to the rear sub frame near the rear torque boxes. Let the car downon the jack stands and let the rear end hang on the leaf springs. You can now remove the nuts from the U bolts and remove the trac bar and lower spring pad. The rear end housing will not move, there is a pin on the leaf spring that fits in a hole on the housing spring pad that will hold the housings in place.

Note:
Jim
Dumb question but I'm assuming I leave wheels and tires on. Is that right? Thanks again.
I guess the wheels and tires do not have to be removed but why would you leave them on? You can access the plate nuts and U bolts much easier without the tires on the car.
Make sure you tighten the U bolt nuts evenly so not to cause the U bolt to be off center.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

masonjarz

Post by masonjarz »

Thank you very much