POP's FORDS

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: POP's FORDS

Post by bigdan »

Can't wait to see you post a little progress on your Cobra! I've always wanted one, but at 6'6" I just wouldn't fit. A friend has one and I can't get my legs in it! That being said, at this point I feel I might have the skills to "stretch" one 6" or so . . . . . Get some pictures coming, Pop. Can't wait!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop do you think Dwayne will ride with you & hold your ugly PF hat on like Bufford T. Justices son did? :lol: :lol: I cant wait!!! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Pop do you think Dwayne will ride with you & hold your ugly PF hat on like Bufford T. Justices son did? :lol: :lol: I cant wait!!! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: nope,..don't think he will,,,,but I'll sure ask this afternoon,,,I won't be able to post his ;zact words :lol: :lol: CHASE will be here this afternoon ,gonna stay for a few days,,so may not get a bunch done,,,that boy takes center stage,,,,besides my PF HAT AIN'T UGLY !!...IT'S A COLLECTERS ITEM... :wink: :shock: :? :D
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:besides my PF HAT AIN'T UGLY !!...IT'S A COLLECTERS ITEM... :wink: :shock: :? :D
Yeah, it looks like it's collected lots of stuff over the years! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Hey, when you start that Cobra build, start a separate build thread in the All in the Family section, like Dan did with his Falcon. That makes it easy for everyone to find and keep up with. I know I'll be following it. :wink: 8)
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

1ST,thanks to y'all for the interest,,,,yrs ago we put the frt end and the rear end under it so we could put whls and tires on it .so's it could be moved,and at times I would feel like it or would have some time and attach some of the alumn precut panels, but there is still plenty left to do it,,those panels have to be riveted on,so they need to be measured and laid out in an orderly fashion to look neat,,,and that eats up time!!those cooper cobra tires on it are brand new ..as far as wear,,they have none what so ever,,they don't have miles on them they have feet and inches on them,,,the air in them is very old ,,yrs old.we still have some loose ends in the shop before we can commence to work on the cobra,,,but in a few days we'll go for it,built the 289 many yrs ago,bought a new stand for it and it has just sat ,,but we are taking it apart and check it..make sure wasp nest ,dirt dober nest etc ,,it will go on our start up trailer and fired up before it goes in..it has the same cam and 2x4 intake with 2-500cfm edelbrocks as my red comet,and MSD dist and ign,,along with a edelbrock gear drive,think it is called acu-drive..I've already put the flameing river rack/pinion on ,,non power,,,I will ship the side pipes off and have them jet hot coated,,it's had some work done to it thru out the yrs ,,,but it still has a lot to do,,,yrs ago I bought a wireing harness kit built for a cobra,,we were going to make our own,til I ran across this kit,,this cobra kit is built to use a 5.0 mustang as a doner car,,BUT I wanted everything on mine brand new,,so it's taken me awhile,,but there's not much about it is going to be a hand me down....thank you all again for your interest....I can't wait to turn GLENDA loose in it,,,ONE TIME !!
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

another thing about building this cobra,,you put it all together without putting the body on it,,the factory suggests you drive it on the road for a few miles,bring it home and retighten make any adjustments,,,then..the body goes on,as the body has no strucal value,it's just a cover..then after windshield and everything else is added ,make all adjustments to make it all fit,,,then remove it all again and remove body and paint body,,,,so this ain't easy it's time consuming,,,,when I first un crated this thing,,I was real upset on the glass body,,,I called the factory,,they said it was from the mold,so I took the body to a guy that rebuilds corvettes,,he spent 25hrs on it,,,well worth it,today this thing is perfect ,sitting there on the body buck in the color of the primer sealer makes you think it's an alumn body....thanks for reading....POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:another thing about building this cobra,,you put it all together without putting the body on it,,the factory suggests you drive it on the road for a few miles,bring it home and retighten make any adjustments,,,then..the body goes on,as the body has no strucal value,it's just a cover..then after windshield and everything else is added ,make all adjustments to make it all fit,,,then remove it all again and remove body and paint body,,,,so this ain't easy it's time consuming,,,,when I first un crated this thing,,I was real upset on the glass body,,,I called the factory,,they said it was from the mold,so I took the body to a guy that rebuilds corvettes,,he spent 25hrs on it,,,well worth it,today this thing is perfect ,sitting there on the body buck in the color of the primer sealer makes you think it's an alumn body....thanks for reading....POP
Pop it's still not real to us out here in the world wide web until we see pics. A few pics with its dust from patiently waiting its turn would be a great start on a new thread for it! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we'll try to start that thread in a day or 3,right now this baby boy is with us and he takes center stage...he'll go back to his mother Wednesday after noon,,so's that's about as early as the cobra project will start,,,he's here most every other week,,he's 1st this cobra can wait....POP
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

This is like a barn-find project, but it was in your own barn. :lol: Can't wait to see this one come together! I've always had a soft spot for Cobras. Got a picture of one hanging on my wall. 8) :mrgreen:
Oops! Sorry, that ole fish got in the way. :lol:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

as long as I've had it,it seems almost like it to me...I've pretty much always kept a blanket over the body,,and of course it has always been a catch all,,,nothing heavy,,,just a handy place to lay a head gasket or something,,all these yrs I got used to it just sitting there and never thought much about it,,knowing it's day was coming,,but now I'm getting antsy,,,kinda like a kid on count down to Christmas knowing that new bike is coming...….or maybe like when the honeymoon is going to start :wink: once we start on it,,,it'll happen quickly....thanks POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP dug out paper work on cobra,,I ordered it july 1998,took delivery of sept1998....on 9/25/98 received the certificate of origin,,,,when built it will tip the scale at 1969lbs or there about,,,that's factory est with a FI 5.0....but mine will have a 289 with alumn intake,alumn heads and a few other weight saving items...so weight could be less or maybe more..either way it ain't heavy to be on a 90in wheel base,,with a 3.55 ls and a tremec 5spd....ol pop sure hopes he has more common sense today,then he had back in 98.... :shock: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

My mom found a few pictures of our racing days back in the day.
Pop in the black Mustang and me in the green Mustang 2/20/90
Pop in the black Mustang and me in the green Mustang 2/20/90
A.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
2/20/90
2/20/90
B.jpg (78.87 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
H.jpg
H.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
My first car, had it for about 41 yrs. Picture date Oct 1987
My first car, had it for about 41 yrs. Picture date Oct 1987
G.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Mid 90's
Mid 90's
I.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 3166 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool pics guys!!
It seems so normal to take pics of everything now,,,.
Back then we were lucky to have one pic of our machines
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:It seems so normal to take pics of everything now,,,.
Back then we were lucky to have one pic of our machines
I have a lot of pictures of my Comet, I was into taking pictures back then, I especially like old box cameras (I have a small collection of them, mostly Brownies but a few lesser know ones) of course my favorite subject was my Comet. Problem is finding the old pictures :roll:

I do agree of course those are cool pictures 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

these pic's represent the closeness me and DWAYNE has always had since he was born,DWAYNE has attended many street drag race before he even started school,,,at 1 2 3 clock in the morning,,,his mother would get so pissed at me for taking him,,,,but it never stopped me,,,he was my side kick and still is today.....POP
pop/glenda