1964 Comet disc brake conversion help

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
GrumpyBobby

1964 Comet disc brake conversion help

Post by GrumpyBobby »

I tried the search function and got very few results, maybe i just dont know how to use the one on this site ? Anyways i am planning a parts yard run this frday in hopes of scoring the parts to pull this off from an OEM setup like the Maverick/Granada/Versailles/Mustang/ etc.. I am hoping someone here has done such a swap and could lend some advice on the subject. I plan to replace the 289/3spd with and FE/4spd using a crites conversion kit and wonder if that makes a difference in the parts choices.

TIA for any input on this. i'll have a look around at the site and get a feel for things, Robert
CRATE = Cant Really Appreciate The Engine
My 64 Comet Project: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc3/ ... y%20Comet/
other stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nX38wamqwY

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 1964 Comet disc brake conversion help

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Your brake selection will be OK with an FE. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

GrumpyBobby

Re: UPDATE

Post by GrumpyBobby »

Well I went to the parts yard this am, day 1 of 3 for .50 prices. Didnt find a donor car that was on my list, did find a 60 econline and a straight axle Also another set of C4AE-6090G heads/with a nice valve train
BUT!! I went looking for a GRANADA, COMET, MAVERICK, VERSAILLES, MONTEGO ETC... WITH A SET OF DISCS!! NADA!! At the last yard i ran across a 77 Tbird that had the steering draglink setup aback of the suspension unlike the rest of the cars that were disc with it in front. I called glenn(FFR428) from net54Fordfe and he generously took time out to search as i grease monkeyed my way to the c4ae heads. He called me back with a 80% positive on things an emailed me a link that I decided to review before any more effort.

http://www.mercurystuff.com/brake-conversion-60-64.html

Can anyone confirm these would work for discs on a 64 comet conversion ? I did notice once home that the Comet is a much easier job than that Tbird. I didnt have a 15/16 wrench and my socket wouldnt fit without a bind for the ratchet. Looking at the comet it seems the spindles have the same size mounting studs where the Tbirds lower was a 15/16 instead of a 7/8. Although looking at the comet i'd swear they are 11/16? I'm confused on the removal process (steps 1- ?) if anyone can shead some light here please do!!!

YES I'M BEGGING FOR HELP HERE!! TIA!!

Robert

rditz

Post by rditz »

Robert,

Is your Comet a V8 car?? that is an important part of my reply. I read the link that you provided and was surprised at the end the total cost for the conversion. For little more, you could buy a new complete bolt on kit that uses 4 piston calipers, dual bowl master cylinder and comes with an adjustable proportioning valve.

I have attached a link to the kit i used on my 66 Comet. http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/detail ... ?nPID=8302 I love it, the car stops great and I have the option of going with rear disc if i ever decide to.

you can even keep your stock 14" rims if you like....

I do agree that while you are under the car doing this conversion, it is a great time to replace tie-rods, ball joints, anything that could be worn.

anyways, that is just my opinion...

good luck

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

I can't comment on your brake setup you are considering. I used the granada setup on mine. what you need to think about is your steering components. most are going to the 65 comet/falcon steering setup to correct a problem with bump steer in the 64. you will need to use v-8 parts, especially if you are going to run a fe motor. on this forum and also on the ford falcon forum there are some good articles about upgrading/changing the steering. it is worth reading. I have found with my build that it is going to be quite a bit more expensive than you probably have figured. on a fe changeover everthing starting with the engine build on down is expensive. if you are going to do it right then I would suggest start from the bottom up.

with the fe you will need frame connectors to tie the body together to stop twist. the stock 8" may, but probably won't hold up behind the fe. you need to consider a 9" or equilivent. just betting 1/2 way through your build you will think you just have a money pit.

one other thing before I get off my soapbox. listen to the ones that have been there, done that, it will cost you less in the long run.

when you tear your car down document and take pictures so when down the road you can remember how it came apart and how it should go back.

I have quite a few pictures of my build on my album linked below.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

GrumpyBobby

Post by GrumpyBobby »

Well I found a guy selling the Granada setup on CL in AZ and picked it up for 230.00 shipped. Looks great, 11" discs (no drag link parts etc). I was considering a straight axle and still am. The frame twist issue does have me worried and a plan to get that issue resolved will be put in order. Listening to the ones who have been there and done that is why I'm here and there... Patience is something i could use more of though lol..

9" is already part of the plan, 4 link, etc... Not in a big hurry and still have the 289 5 bolt here but ??? That just doesnt thrill me as much as an FE does.. I prefer the rolling thunder to snack crackle pop during a storm :)

Thanks very much for the input folks..

COMET KID

rear disc set up for a 63 comet

Post by COMET KID »

I have a 68 COUGAR REAR AXLE so I bought the REAR disc brake set up for 8-9 inch ford diff.. I thought this would be a winter project and then put it in in the spring.. It is cold up here in CANADA -40oF ebay cost.. $349.00 ..shipping $85.00 .. I thought that was a good deal..

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: rear disc set up for a 63 comet

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

COMET KID wrote:I have a 68 COUGAR REAR AXLE so I bought the REAR disc brake set up for 8-9 inch ford diff.. I thought this would be a winter project and then put it in in the spring.. It is cold up here in CANADA -40oF ebay cost.. $349.00 ..shipping $85.00 .. I thought that was a good deal..
68 Cougar rear axle is too wide for a 63 Comet. You will need special offset rims, like the ones used on 94-2004 Mustangs.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

COMET KID

Post by COMET KID »

THANKS for the reply on the COUGAR rear axle .. the rims for the Mustang would be ok to use.. I see lots say rear axle on the MAVERICKS ( 1970-76 ) would work as well.. do you know if the ones in a 6 cylinder donoer would have the 8 inch rear diff or bigger??

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The 6 banger cars are different.The 63 has the narrowist 8",I just did a Maverick *" in a 63,had to use offset wheels.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Rick Shipley

Post by Rick Shipley »

I know alot of the guys here don't like them, But If I were in your shoes, I'd just do a Mustang II or like type swap, even if it's a GM style swap.
11 inch disc brakes on a big block project would not make me very confident on the stopping power, even if it is better than the drums.

GrumpyBobby

Post by GrumpyBobby »

Decided to go dropped straight axle, selling the 11" disc package. it wont be street'ed so stopping isn't my biggest concern. At least "crazy stop fast crap" anyhow,

For that matter i have drums on my 66 F100 and it stops just fine even towing. Maintenance and common sense is everything.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I like my drums for the simple fact they don't destroy my Slots every summer
with brake dust.
I may even get the protector disc's when I do go to disc's
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

senginc

Post by senginc »

alans 64 wrote: most are going to the 65 comet/falcon steering setup to correct a problem with bump steer in the 64. you will need to use v-8 parts, alan
is this just changing pitman/idler centerlink and tie rods ??

I have a 64 404 factory V8 and was just going to use original type parts

Comments please

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I used all new 65 parts on my 63 conversion. Idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods etc. I used a set of csrp special made granada spindles with 65 geometry arms to them. This all worked well for me. The stock Garanada spindles gave me way too much bump steer! Very scary to drive at the track.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible