My Comechero

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Comechero65

My Comechero

Post by Comechero65 »

Thought I should start a project page. Have had my 65 Ranchero for over 25 years which I am altering it with some 65 Comet parts so it is becoming my Comechero. 65 Comet front end, 65 Comet wagon rear end and the 65 Comet dash. Possibly a few other comet details as well. Finally getting close to finishing. Had posted some of the the details in my New Member post:

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =24&t=6118

Latest things done, got the headliner and windlace installed. Got the front windshield installed and the rear sliding glass installed. The sliding glass was from a 65 F100 which I fab'd an adapter to fit the original rubber. Came out looking pretty good. Probably one of a kind or at least one of few as they never made a sliding glass for early rancheros AFAIK.

All the door hardware is back in except for all the door glass and reg. Just recently pulled the fenders, got the headlight assemblies cleaned up, painted and installed in the headlight extensions along with new wiring harness. While I had the fenders off did a final alignment on the front end. Took some mods to the strut rods to get some decent caster in it.

Yesterday got the fenders back on and adjusted. Also got the grille on and hood trim. I swear every step always takes lot of adjusting and mod's to make things fit. Thought I had done that already with the preliminary setup. But apparently things change or I did the setup wrong.

Next step will be to get the front bumper installed and start installing some of the trim. May have some more pics to add real soon. Lots to do yet. I'm really enjoying this part of the project reassembling everything. It's really neat to see the bags used for storage of parts being emptied and the labels removed as the parts go back on to stay (I hope).

More to come.

Ron

Tristan

Re: My Comechero

Post by Tristan »

Very very awesome Ron. I will be following your progress with this closely being that I'm partial to the comet mixups myself. Its awesome to see everything come together and the mess of parts laying every where dwindle away.
ImageImage

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Ron, looks to be a quaility build.
final assembly is ICE cream after a tough steak!
looking forward to pics
fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

final assembly is ICE cream after a tough steak!
FRED,did you make that up ,or over hear it somewhere??? :lol: :shock: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Well it's coming along real nice now. Got the bumpers installed and most of the front end is finished except for installing the parking lamps which I am still finishing up. I swear every step takes alteration and mod's to make everything fit. But am enjoying every step. The mrs walked out the door and said 'oh it's beginning to look like a car'. Something it hasn't looked like in over 25 years. And didn't look all that great when I first got it.

Here's the only pic I have so far, taken with my phone. Not great but will have more to come. A few more days and most of the exterior trim will be on. Once I get the custom made COMECHERO emblems installed it will officially be the 'Comechero'. Still a lot to do but it seems to be coming together faster and faster.

It's cool to see the empty bags pilling up.

ICE cream after the steak! Cool line! It's going to be champagne time real soon.

Ron
Attachments
0408041824ab.jpg
0408041824ab.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Thanks Fred. I'm trying to do a good job with it. Not always easy but I'm getting there.

Tristan, I see you have a Comet mixup of your own. That's cool. If you don't have a 65 Comet, just build one huh? That's what I'm doing kinda sorta!

Pops, Fred just went through Gilroy, you should have him bring you back some of that garlic ice cream. So you can tell us what it tastes like. We have to smell that stuff all the way from here. The garlic I mean.
Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

No more pics yet but got the side trim strip on. Had to pull the rear splash shield on both sides to get to one bolt. The side trim isn't like anything else. My own design. Also got the parking lamps finished and installed. Got the headlights and parking lights wired but had to fix a broken connection first. Those quad headlights light up real nice. And the LED parking lamps give an eerie color with the amber lens. Some more trim on the outside to do yet. Then back to finishing the inside.
Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The 65 ranchero will officially become the 'COMECHERO' today when I get the Comechero emblems I fab'd mounted. Will have some pics to post later today.

Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Ok the 65 Ranchero is now officially the COMECHERO. :D Got most but not all the external trim on. Got the emblems installed especially the COMECHERO emblems. I created them by combining a Comet emblem and a Ranchero emblem. Finally got to pull it out in the street and get some pics in sunlight. Couldn't use all the pic as the sun really glares off the metalflake and washes out the pics. Some angles need to be in shade. Here's 3 of the better ones.
IMG_6107ab.jpg
IMG_6107ab.jpg (77.51 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
IMG_6135ab.jpg
IMG_6135ab.jpg (89.28 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
IMG_6128ab.jpg
IMG_6128ab.jpg (75.4 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
I have more pics but this site limits me to 3 pics max. I have noticed other have uploaded more than 3 but have no idea how they do that. I also have to reduce the size on my pics and wonder how other have uploaded larger size pics.

Have some more exterior trim to go on. Soon I will get back to work on the inside. Have some electrical work to do plus I want to get the electric steering motor cut into the column so I can get the column tube cut and painted and installed. Then the rest of the dash can be put together and all the electrical stuff reconnected . So far only the headlights, parking lamps and taillight part of then the taillamps work. The rest will work once the column is back in and connected. Still have the glass and reg to go back in the doors along with getting the door weatherstrips installed. So it has to go back in the garage till that is done.

It's actually drivable as is though not legally due to lack of all the functional lighting. I drove it out in the street today to get the pics. Plus I start it and drive out of the garage and back in when I'm done.

Ron :D

loman

Post by loman »

I've never been a big ranchero fan, but each time I look at this thread and see the pictures I really like your car. I think its the custom ideas that are cool. I especially like the tailgate with the station wagon trim.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Wow!!!
Pretty nice,,,,for a 65,,,lol
what's your plan for wheels

here's a link to post pics
you need an online host then link the url

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2448
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

That's lookin good!!!!
ImageImage

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKS great,should have been built like that to start with,that is real nice...POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Fred, I have some nice wheels with custom center caps to go on soon. I leave the wheels and tires till last so as not to mess them up. I think the look will improve dramatically then. Thanks.

Why does this board stop me from uploading more pics?
Ron

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ron , think its just cost of space
If you set up an account on PHotobucket of similar host
then you just link by copy and paste
click on the view topic link I left in my last post
it will get you going.
Bit of a pain but its the only way
Fred