What's Maverick Been up to (Fix it and Flip it)

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Groover

What's Maverick Been up to (Fix it and Flip it)

Post by Groover »

Ok,

Some of you have met my son at the gathering, and other watched him grow up though our two year build thread on the Comet. In case you're wondering what the Comet project started at age 14 can prepare you for later in life...

Just this year: Bought a BMW 750Li, fixed it and flipped it. Took that and bought a Toyota MR2 turbo. Fixed that and flipped it. Drove up to Chicago over Christmas and bought this Audi S4. Took some scraps and bought a motorcycle (much to mom's and my displeasure) fixed it and flipped it for more funds for the Audi.

Here is my garage right now.

Back of the engine

Audi S4 timing project. Apparently these have variable valve timing via hydraulic cam phasers but they are known for a failure in the phasers. A little metal pin is pushed out to lock the phasers at idle and then retreats to allow variable timing under acceleration, etc. Dealer repair is about $5,000. So of course he's gonna do it himself. Had to take the entire front end off (on the screened in porch) to get the engine out. This thing has three timing chains and a bunch of plastic chain guides (which should be outlawed).

Next question is will he flip it or drive it. He says he likes the car and wants to keep it. I say it's gone by the end of summer.

Meanwhile he is a Junior in Automotive Tech and is interviewing for internships, etc. He has far exceeded any knowledge I gave him about cars and his tool collection is way cooler too :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Re: What's Maverick Been up to (Fix it and Flip it)

Post by poboyjo65 »

That's cool to hear!! :D Tell him I said hello! That motor is enough to make Fred jealous! :lol:
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Groover tell Maverick to keep up the good work. Hope to see you guys this year in PF, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Wow! That’s awesome !!
Now your comet needs a Cammer! :D
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's great! Looks like he's got a budding career on his hands. He may have surpassed you, but that's the mark of a good teacher. You did more than teach him. You lit the fire and inspired him. :wink:
Jim

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Great skills to have. You should be proud, sounds like he has found his calling! We should all be so lucky!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Where's that like button?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Groover

Post by Groover »

He's been all over it the past two days. Engine is almost back together. Had to have a special tool kit from Audi to align the cams, cam phasers, chains, tensioners, and crankshaft. The kit holds all the overhead cams perfectly aligned, the chains tensioned, and a pin locks the crank in place so you can put on the chains and torque everything down without it moving. I'm not sure exactly how much the cam advances and retards by the phasers, but they have to be perfectly aligned with the magnetic servo, etc. so it can make the requisite 350 hp.

Anyway, we should be putting the transmission back on tonight after he gets off work, and starting to get it all back in.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...