A weak moment

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
boone

A weak moment

Post by boone »

Some of you may know that here a few months ago I bought a 65 caliente 2 dr hartop. When I saw this car I got so giddy my normal train of thinking kind of left me (I hope that has happened to some of you guys too) I had always liked cars but never really paid attention to the comets-not that I didn't like them there just aren't that many out there compared to the Camaros,mustangs, bel airs, etc And not to mention that for some reason it seems that a lot of people in my generation anyway have forgotten the great cars of the early 60's.it seems that a lot of people my age think that if its not a 67,68, or 69 its not a classic muscle car. but anyway I got the car home all proud and everything bragging to my wife about it. I have drove it around some and decided to just take a closer look at some things-turns out somebody put quarters in it and did a not so good job-then when it came to the floorpans they did even worse-what I thought was years of black paint/undercoating is actually a giant piece of fiberglass mat.looking underneath the car it looks like they cut the old floorpans out with a hatchet and got some rusty steel from a junkyard and welded it in from the top and just left the bottom, then when I removed the rear seat from the car and looked right behind the vertical piece that the front of the rear seat sets on-there is no floor on either side-just a jagged edge from a hatchet line and the ground-but aside from a few dime sized rust holes here and there on the exterior it was good-then got to the trunk and decided to look closer at it-aside from the lower channel where the trunk seal sits having a little rot and a little rust either side of the fuel tank it looked ok-then tucked my head in there and looked all the way at the back towards the bumper at what I would call the "tailpan" and wouldn't you know-its rotted out too. disgusted with myself and the car I went on craigslist and listed the car for sale and also started to look at another car to do some trading on-my first prospect was a 57 ford fairlane that was supposed to have "no rust" went and looked at it and of course it wasn't as rust free as he said it was.left there and was on my way to look at a 55 buick. Now I drive a newer Chevrolet truck and I don't like a lot of music that is on the radio, so I put on youtube on my phone and Bluetooth it to my truck radio and listen to that-youtube will play a song and then keep playing other songs that are in the same genre or pattern that you listen to-so on my way over to this buick-the youtube app on my phone starts playing "mercury blues" by david lindley-and for some reason I came up to my road and pulled back to the house and pulled up in the drive way-got out and went over to the comet and looked at it-I looked at the car and marveled at it the same way I did when I went and bought it-did not dare to open the door or trunk afraid it would ruin my mood-and I thought to myself-you know what-its not the cars fault somebody hacked it up or did the job halfway-its not the cars fault that I didn't take a closer look-but I have a 65 comet and out of all the cars I can ever remember seeing on the road or at car shows I don't ever remember seeing a comet-but it is a beautiful car that does have potential-and I am the type of person that I would rather build it-not buy it. well here it is-a build it not buy it car that you don't hardly see or hear anybody speak of anymore-yes it is going to be work but I don't mind it-it is going to be a long road considering im in the middle of another project but when it is done I will have a car that to me is actually special because I pretty much specifically bought the car because you don't see the comets.because nobody else I knew had one-I went in the house and called the guy with the buick and told him I couldn't make it-then went on craigslist and removed the listing for the comet-that car has been halfway done its whole life and I don't believe in doing anything halfway-and I will not be the next one who does-I think a mercury comet deserves better than that. so I guess this project is mine but the more I think about it the more excited I get to be the one who does it the right way. and to have a beautiful car in the end.

Jims65cyclone

Re: A weak moment

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Preach on, brother! Your talkin' to ME. :wink: There was a lot of emotion and sentimentality involved when I bought my car, mainly because I had wanted another 65 Cyclone like the one I had in my late teens, and there it was. There was a lot I discovered after I got it home that was not obvious, nor mentioned, when I bought it. It kind of made me sick as I continued to discover more and more things I'll need to do, but I've decided to make it an opportunity rather than a disaster. I plan to go the bionic man route..."make it faster, stronger, better than it was before".....and have a blast doing it. I haven't gotten started on it in earnest, yet, due to an enormous remodeling project I've been working on, including a new garage just for the purpose. Just a few "quicky" projects like new wheels and tires, a new distributor, etc., but boy, am I going to have fun when I do. The best thing is this forum. I've been going through build threads and other discussions and bookmarking pages in folders on all the things I plan to do to my car. When I get started, I'm going to go through each folder as I get to working on that part of the project to refresh my memory, see how the guys that know more than me did it, and get a shot of encouragement when I need it. I bookmarked your earlier post on how to weld in floor pans because I want to reference all the comments you'll get when it come time to work on mine. I hope you'll start a build thread when you get started, because I'll sure be interested in what you do and how you do it. :D
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Enjoyed your story!
Yes many of us have a,,, weird attachment to these cars.
I'm one of those halfway guys in your story except for the fact I won't be selling mine.
Build it for you and enjoy the journey!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I've been asked a few times if I would sell my comet. My answer is, everything is for sale, but some things are priced higher than they ought to be, due to sentimental reasons. I've put so much work into it, I would only part with it for a ridiculous number. Because, once it's gone, what else is there? Sure a GT40 or a Daytona coupe might be nice, but the Comet is my own and its unique. I've put blood sweat and tears (literally) into it, and no one appreciates it the way I do. I can jump in it any day and drive it anywhere, and not worry about it, because I know it inside and out and I made it reliable. It might not be the prettiest thing or the fastest thing on the road, but its mine. And when do you ever see another one?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

redhotcomet wrote:I've been asked a few times if I would sell my comet. My answer is, everything is for sale, but some things are priced higher than they ought to be, due to sentimental reasons. I've put so much work into it, I would only part with it for a ridiculous number. Because, once it's gone, what else is there? Sure a GT40 or a Daytona coupe might be nice, but the Comet is my own and its unique. I've put blood sweat and tears (literally) into it, and no one appreciates it the way I do. I can jump in it any day and drive it anywhere, and not worry about it, because I know it inside and out and I made it reliable. It might not be the prettiest thing or the fastest thing on the road, but its mine. And when do you ever see another one?
Well said! I think we all feel like this.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
redhotcomet wrote:I've been asked a few times if I would sell my comet. My answer is, everything is for sale, but some things are priced higher than they ought to be, due to sentimental reasons. I've put so much work into it, I would only part with it for a ridiculous number. Because, once it's gone, what else is there? Sure a GT40 or a Daytona coupe might be nice, but the Comet is my own and its unique. I've put blood sweat and tears (literally) into it, and no one appreciates it the way I do. I can jump in it any day and drive it anywhere, and not worry about it, because I know it inside and out and I made it reliable. It might not be the prettiest thing or the fastest thing on the road, but its mine. And when do you ever see another one?
Well said! I think we all feel like this.
I third it
tomb's 65