FYI, exhaust pipe expanding tool

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

FYI, exhaust pipe expanding tool

Post by loman »

In building my headers, I'm using an exhaust pipe expanding tool. I'm expanding one piece in order to make a slip fit to connect the tubing together. My advice to anyone, is not to purchase the cheaper tools $25 - $50 tools (first pic), because they just don't really work well at least not with 1 3/4 steel tubing. I put the tubing in a vice and using an impact tool the vice couldn't hold the pipe without scratching or denting it. In order to hold the pipe for the impact to work, I had to basically smash the pipe in the vice and at that point the tubing is useless. Then I noticed the cast beveled piece broke in two. I purchased a new tool to replace my friends that I broke. I used the new one and on the first try, broke the same darn piece. My friend then bought a different tool and it is supposed to be able to stretch stainless. So far it has worked pretty good. This is the Lisle tool in the picture. It has a roller bearing on one end and a big round hub that can be clamped in the vice instead of the tubing. I applied lots of grease on the bearing and lots of antiseize on the threads and the pieces that do the stretching and it worked very well. We haven't tried it on stainless yet but if it works on stainless, it is worth the few extra bucks. I'll try to add some more pictures later of some tubing that was stretched.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2131.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2131.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 823 times
thumbnail_IMG_2130.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2130.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 823 times

vicegrip

Re: FYI, exhaust pipe expanding tool

Post by vicegrip »

You won't be disappointed.I have them from the smallest to 3 1/2.It will do stainless with no problem on the smaller diameters.On the big pipes you need to do half a bite at a time.On the headers,I figure out at least one tube bolted up and welded to the collector where you want everything to be.From there,figure out how many slip fits you need for easy installation without lifting the motor.If you can do it,individualize the flanges on all the slip fit tubes.Makes install a lot easier