alum welding rods

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

alum welding rods

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

vicegrip

Re: alum welding rods

Post by vicegrip »

How many do you want? These guys or people like them are all around at fairs,farm shows,swaps.etc. Under their own perfect conditions,they do seem to work for the demonstrator. I fell for it hook,line and sinker but so far have never successfully welded anything. The next year,I took a couple pieces of nice clean aluminum to the show for the guy to weld...wouldn't touch it.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

was at a big swap meet and car show yrs ago,,,this guy had a 223 ci 6cyl ford motor on a stand,,,no oil pan,,,just sittin there idleing,,trying to sell people this stuff to ad to your oil,,trying to prove his stuff coated everything so good ,you could drain the oil and run the motor,,I kept asking him to bring it up off idle,,,rev it up,,,he completely ignored me time after time,,we all just walked away,,,,,,kinda like you never get a steak from a steakhouse that looks like their ad on TV,,,or even a hamburger that looks like an ad on tv
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

vicegrip wrote:How many do you want? These guys or people like them are all around at fairs,farm shows,swaps.etc. Under their own perfect conditions,they do seem to work for the demonstrator. I fell for it hook,line and sinker but so far have never successfully welded anything. The next year,I took a couple pieces of nice clean aluminum to the show for the guy to weld...wouldn't touch it.
After reading this I dont want any of them. :lol: that's the reason I ask around before I buy a new gimmick. Thanks. :D btw, did he have an excuse why he wouldn't try your alum?

Yea Pop those burgers are so nice & neat on the pics but when you get it looks like it was mashed together by an ape.
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

https://www.amazon.com/Muggy-Weld-Super ... 8223&psc=1

This stuff kinda works but you need to be a torchologist to make it work right. You get aluminum hot and you think you got something going and....it's gone! Part,rod,everything.Wished I was better at it but I also wish I would have saved my money.
Farm show guy never even gave me a second glance.

StPro

Post by StPro »

I bought some just for testing. I found it good for soldering not welding. The last stuff I bought was Muggy weld. I used it repair the metal grill parts on my 70 Torino. Low heat is the key. Enough heat to make the rod melt on the base metal. Any more heat and the and things start to oxidize and wont stick.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT