Cosmic updates!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
CosmicComets

Cosmic updates!

Post by CosmicComets »

As some of you may know, I built "The Cosmic Comet" back in the early 80's, sold it in the 90's and received it back as a Christmas gift in 2012, after 20+ years, visually unchanged but mechanically molested. It's performance was not what I was hoping for with all the "upgrades" that a previous owner had done. So this past winter, what started as a wiring project, snowballed into a complete drive line replacement. Radiator to rear suspension. I have been trying to get pics here as I went, but, with the aid of some current posts, just figured it out.

pulled out all running gear, started with fresh slate

Had to replace tunnel, due to all the previous configurations of shifters

We tore the front seats apart to cut through backs for installation of harness gaskets. My wife Joan sewed the stars on in about '84 so keeping the 69 Cyclone high-backs was important. Yes, way heavy for "race" seats. This project took HOURS!

If this works, I will continue the upgrade story!
Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

poboyjo65

Re: Cosmic updates!

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looking great Cary! :D looks like a ford sport wheel on there,what is your column out of a truck or stang?
Johno

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

I think the pics came through, so I will attempt some more! I won't post individual parts, but will try to list most. New aluminum radiator from Speedawy, electric fan controlled by EFI computer, new March serpentine (max cooling ratio) pulley system. Heating problems.... solved. Entire build based off a new 460W small block from Ford Performance.

Needed to fabricate new headers for the high port heads

motor was in and out a dozen times to build headers

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Johno, the column is stock Comet with a Mustang GT wheel from mid 80's. I know some of these pics won't be in correct order from front to back, but please bear with. I will try to answer any questions on the build that anyone may have. Car is now roadworthy, so going back in time with some of these.

engine in and complete. had to get a different intake and distributor, old 351w air gap wouldn't work

Transmission is now a built C4 with trans brake, 3800 stall TCI converter, TCI Diablo 2 button shifter for line lock and brake

needed to stiffen the chassis to handle the new found power and went with CalTrac monoleaf suspension with adjustable shocks to help it hook up

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Needed to fix the braking system which was weak at best before. Running big single piston brakes up front, but a previous owner thought that small single piston chevy s10 brakes was the way to go. Replaced with 12.5 Willwood 4 piston with park brake. Amazing.

New MT drag radials to complete the traction equation.

here is the old wiring system that started this project. Had melted connections, scotch-locks, twisted and taped wires. It only provided 9.5 volts to the EFI system and would erase memory every time the car was started. Fortunate the car didn't catch fire!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

well done,,looks great,,,bet that sucker will scream now for sure,it has always been a looker,,tell all hi !!
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Well done Cary.
It looks like you pulled out all the stops for performance. How do the drag radials hook up in the snow????
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

A/FX wrote:Well done Cary.
It looks like you pulled out all the stops for performance. How do the drag radials hook up in the snow????
Jim
Jim, glad to say we haven't had any accumulation since May! Although it was 28 overnight here a week ago, thankfully we only have a rock garden. And I have been following your project, very extensive, looking great!

Take care, Cary

Groover

Post by Groover »

Looks Fantastic!

The only way it would look any better, is parked in front of the Mountain View Motel next June :D
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Cary! 8)

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am impressed to say the least, everything looks well done, you should be proud.

The pictures are good too, keep posting them :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I could look at that engine bay all day ! :D (again tomorrow :roll: ) pusher fan I presume. I'd like to see the rest of the polished cover on the rad support to grill. keep thinking I'll make one for mine someday. :roll:
I guess you plan to do a lot of driving on the street,you got the window washer hoses on there.

How's the sons & their cars doing? maybe yours will spur them on!
Johno

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

Awesome build!! Do you have any horsepower estimates? That engine is a work of art worthy of a museun!

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks for the compliments guys! I attribute most of the detail work to a young(er) man named Mike Olson from my old hometown of Keewatin, Minnesota. His father, Milt, was instrumental in the original build starting in the early 80's and his paint still sets the car apart to this day. Oh how we fought about the shooting stars that I had taped out on the sides, he refused to spray it until I threatened him that I would. He teared up when first seeing Cosmic again in Jan 2013. RIP Milt.
Groover, PF isn't out of the question, but wouldn't be able to combine with a trip to Bowling Green for The Hot Rod Reunion again unless I removed the EFI and that is no longer a simple job. Computer controls timing, fuel, and cooling.
Johno, yes a pusher fan, have the computer set to turn on at 190, off again at 180. And now that you have learned me how to post pics I will take a wider view of the radiator valance and post. If anybody else wants particular detail shot I will do my best to post.
Mike, Jim, and HIPO, thanks for the approvals. But no museum for this guy, this was built as a "race legal street car" and will be used as such. I hope to pass the MN Street Rod Assn safety inspection, thus all lights, horn, parking break, wiper/washer, hazards etc need to be in working order.
HIPo HP is supposed to be 575 and torque 575. I will try to post a factory dyno sheet.

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

This is what Ford Performance claims the motor is capable of, not Cosmic's particular engine. However, I consulted with Ford Racing engineers on header specs, timing, fuel used etc, and think we will be in the ball park. I am signed up for a chassis dyno run in St. Paul at St. Machine Nationals so will know what I end up with at wheels.
As you can see, this is a torque monster, not a high rev motor. We had the pan off and all I can say is that clearances are TIGHT! Will probably set the 2nd stage rev limiter at 5500 to start with.