Side Rear View Mirror Mounting Issues

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
bronzechariot

Side Rear View Mirror Mounting Issues

Post by bronzechariot »

Hi All,

66 Comet Caliente Convertible. I'm going to struggle with describing this issue so I may need to follow up with pictures, at some point. The rubber receivers that have threaded metal inserts to mount my driver's side mirror onto the door are shot and the mirror was loose and is now barely hanging on with bubble gum and duct tape. I've found plenty of mirror kits online, retaining screws, etc. I have yet to find the rubber receivers with threaded inserts that plug those holes on the door where the retaining screws go into to secure the mirror. Was this an aftermarket mounting method that someone worked out as a fix or am I missing something here?????

Thanks!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Side Rear View Mirror Mounting Issues

Post by A/FX »

bronzechariot wrote:Hi All,

66 Comet Caliente Convertible. I'm going to struggle with describing this issue so I may need to follow up with pictures, at some point. The rubber receivers that have threaded metal inserts to mount my driver's side mirror onto the door are shot and the mirror was loose and is now barely hanging on with bubble gum and duct tape. I've found plenty of mirror kits online, retaining screws, etc. I have yet to find the rubber receivers with threaded inserts that plug those holes on the door where the retaining screws go into to secure the mirror. Was this an aftermarket mounting method that someone worked out as a fix or am I missing something here?????

Thanks!
Use “Riv-nuts” instead of the rubber inserts. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have an inexpensive kit.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:Use “Riv-nuts” instead of the rubber inserts. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have an inexpensive kit.
I second that! I just got one of the HF ones, it works fine however, after I bought mine I was at Menards Lumber Yard (if you have one local) and they had one even cheaper than HF and had the rivet-nuts for sale there as well, they did not have any additional ones for sale at my local HF.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You can order the riveters and the nuts off Amazon, too.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rivnuts&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Jim

bronzechariot

Post by bronzechariot »

Thanks, All! I'll check that out as a good alternative option.