Winter

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

Winter

Post by SASSY »

:( took Sassy for its last drive of the year yesterday, insurance ran out.
Around this time of year snow begins to appear so back into the shop for more work!
Plan on a stereo,and starting on the interior which is a disaster at present.
May buy a sewing machine and take a stab at doing it myself. Any body with any experience
in that area on here?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

BJB

Re: Winter

Post by BJB »

Fred...our east coast is being savaged by bush fires from Queensland to New South Wales... death and destruction. What a contrast.

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:May buy a sewing machine and take a stab at doing it myself.
I am thinking about doing the same thing, I looked on eBay at sewing machines and there are some around $100, I figure if I got something like that I could attempt making my own and if I failed I could always re-sell the sewing machine for near what I give for it. I have never sewed anything but I am sure the internet is full of videos on how to do it. (I watch Jonathan W on Youtube)

My main issue right now is finding a set of pre-made covers for a '68 Thunderbird, for some reason that particular seat gets skipped. My seat covers are not that bad but have few small tears and are not very supple so I figure they will crack up terribly once I start using them and the foam is crumbling in them so they need rebuilt.

Anyway if you do attempt to do it make sure to keep us all posted, I have a while before I would attempt to do something like that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

I hear you on winter. We have already had a layer of salt put down so mine is away for the winter.

Regarding the sewing machine make sure you get an industrial machine and not a home machine. I sewed new upholstery for my daughters salon chair last year and used an industrial machine which went nice and slow and strong. It was not that hard but the raw material was pricey. With my home machine it would have been very frustrating.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes on the industrial machine. Years ago I made a pair of seat covers for a winter beater on a home machine.
Yes was FRUSTRATING!!! But did get the fundamentals sorted out.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Go for it Fred! I know you can do it . take your time .it'll look good. :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks Johnno, been watching YouTube on the subject. Those pros make it look easy, kinda like Bob Ross and painting landscapes. Gimme an easel! Lol
Fred

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

What kinda stereo you got in mind Fred?

I've been going round & round with that myself,,,trying to figure out which I want. Add a hidden something . or just find out what kind that kid had that walked by last month with some kind of boombox, I think it looked like a big pipe /tube ,,,I was expecting to see a rice burner drive by when I first heard it thumpin. what ever he had would be good enough for me, I think,,, if it had a radio.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well, enough to make ACDC sound good!
Ive got a friend whos gonna help me.
Probably about 4 speakers scattered around and a 10 inch sub.
My plan is to use the upper rear seat from the '89 Cougar I got the motor from.
It has a 60/40 fold down so the 40 is for the sub and 60 is for my surfboard!
No, don't think Ive ever had my knees wet in the ocean! lol
Want to paint up the board ,,,uh RED with maybe some pinstriping

url=http://cometcentral.com/photos/image/a7Ck]Image[/url]

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:Those pros make it look easy, kinda like Bob Ross and painting landscapes.
Bob paints happy little clouds. You can make some happy little seat covers. :lol:

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
SASSY wrote:Those pros make it look easy, kinda like Bob Ross and painting landscapes.
Bob paints happy little clouds. You can make some happy little seat covers. :lol:

Jim
Jim, I'd have to sell them to you to go with your happy face floor mats :mrgreen:

Luciad67

Post by Luciad67 »

thrnelson wrote:I hear you on winter. We have already had a layer of salt put down so mine is away for the winter.

Regarding the sewing machine make sure you get an industrial machine and not a home machine. I sewed new upholstery for my daughters salon chair last year and used an industrial machine which went nice and slow and strong. It was not that hard but the raw material was pricey. With my home machine it would have been very frustrating.
Yes, but it mostly depends on the usage. If it is in heavy use, it would be better to buy an industrial machine.