Car Lift and Garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Jims65cyclone

Re: Car Lift and Garage

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Finished the sheathing this afternoon. Next step is a framing inspection, scheduled for Tuesday, then it's on to house wrap and siding.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I keep thinking I'd want a man door by the existing garage. I see not the easiest cause of need for steps in the new garage but it's a long way around for a screwdriver,,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Very nice, Jim!
If I have the chance to relocate, I'll be looking for a very similar garage for the cars.
My present home would require too many modifications to make it a feasible proposition.

Carry on, good Sir!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:59 pm
I keep thinking I'd want a man door by the existing garage.
I was originally going to put a second man door in the short wall that ties in to the original garage, but I decided against it because:
1. I didn't want steps intruding into the new garage
2. If the weather is good I usually have the garage door(s) open anyway, so a man door wouldn't really save me any steps
3. If the garage doors are closed, the man door in the rear of the new garage connects to the mudroom, which connects to the original garage
4. The bulk of my tools will be in the new garage, but I've also got a basic supply of tools in the original garage and in the basement for my woodworking shop, so not having the tool I need for the space I'm in should be minimal
5. Leaving the second man door out saves me about $450 for a door and steps. :D

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well $450 is a lot a cruising even at todays prices 8)
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Passed my framing inspection on Tuesday. Next steps should have been house wrap, set door and windows and siding installation. Lowes screwed up my window order, though, so instead of them being here on 9/19 they won't be here until 10/11, so that delays siding. :evil: I would have gone ahead and installed the house wrap, but decided against that with this hurricane coming in. Don't want the wind ripping it off before I can get the siding on. Instead, I wrapped the lower 2/3's of the sheathing with tarps to protect it from rain. If they get damaged it's no big deal. I'm getting started on the electrical rough in, instead. That's something I can stop at any time when my windows come in and I can work on the outside again. It's also less strenuous and easier on the back, so it will allow some more recuperation time before climbing the scaffolding again.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hope you don't get any wind damage, falling trees, etc.
A delay in time is a heckuva lot better than a financial setback.
Hang in there, Jim!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 pm
Lowes screwed up my window order, though, so instead of them being here on 9/19 they won't be here until 10/11, so that delays siding. :evil:

Jim
I feel your pain Jim. My windows came in on time in april but they were just about all too big. kitchen window fit,& a small bath window fit with a little work. but the 10 big windows were all too big. 4 of them had the wrong grids, that was the first thing I noticed. they tried pulling the wool over my eyes by saying that's the way they are suppose to be. I had ordered the six over six grids so it looks like 6 individual panes in each sash but 5 of them were slightly narrower & they said couldn't get 6 over 6 grid in those,only 4 over 4. I said fine time to tell me that I would have gotten all of them with no grids before I paid extra money for windows that dont match.[which is what I went with ,no grids the second order] then after checking them they were all too big anyway & finally had the salesman who did the measuring & the contractor (a buddy of mine) came out to re measure. so I finally got thru to him that the order was screwed up. then kept getting a bill & bills for finance charges on first order,,, to add to the confusion my contractor had ordered some windows for his own house,his name is also John like me,lives on same street as me, & one number off ,nearly the same street number. about half his windows were too big too. turned out he could use 4 of my wrong windows with the 4 over 4 grids . so he was able to get all his in his house the first go around but I had to wait another couple months. so when mine finally came in [actually earlier than they predicted] by this time the salesman took off for vacation & the invoice was all screwed up. so by the time he got back my contractor buddy took off for a 3 week vacation. :roll: still waiting on a proper invoice. so after all of the muck ups I decided I'd put a couple of them in myself & ended up putting them all in & saved myself some money,,,& that helped me to get over it all :wink:

in hindsight. I should have measured too & checked to see if his measurements were same,also but mainly the contractor should have done this & he knows it now.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Wow! It wore me out just reading about all that! I'll find out Tuesday whether the second time will be the charm for me. That's when my windows are supposed to be in. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath. In the meantime I've hit a snag on my electrical, though. My plan all along has been to pick up my power from a junction box that was installed when I had my HVAC condensers relocated when I built the carport. Since that was a dedicated 220V circuit coming from my main panel, it didn't have a neutral wire. Just the two hots and a ground. Turns out that for me to tie in to that to supply my new garage subpanel, which will have several 110V circuits, I have to have a separate neutral bar in my subpanel for the white (neutral) leads to connect to. I can't connect them to the ground bar along with the ground leads. That means I have to pull a new #4AWG neutral wire all the way back to my main panel box. It's not going to be fun routing that wire, including tearing out and repairing sheetrock to get to my main panel. Not to mention the ridiculous cost of wire these days. By the time I'm through I'll have about the same cost in wire as it cost me to frame the thing! :evil: If you ever make it to PF again, we'll have to go cry in our beers about our construction woes. :lol:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I went thru all that electrical bungle in the jungle last year hooking it to my house. it'd take a 6 pack just to explain all the crying I went thru on that. but it's done now,shop is tied into the house & not on its own meter now & paying residential rates instead of business rates not to mention less 50 a month on separate meter rental & house got updated too
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Finally got my windows today from another supplier. (Long, ugly story. :roll: ) Now I can resume work on the exterior. I'll post some more pics when I've made some progress.

Jim

StPro

Post by StPro »

It takes forever to get a garage built. It takes just as long or longer to get moved in and arrange things so you can find your tools and make your space workable.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

StPro wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:33 pm
It takes forever to get a garage built. It takes just as long or longer to get moved in and arrange things so you can find your tools and make your space workable.
I'm pumped to get a 'new to me' rolling chest from my oldest son tomorrow!
Organization is a good thing. 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

StPro

Post by StPro »

I moved My 65 into the garage in March . Only a couple small things left to do and I can start on the car.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Been a couple of weeks since my last update. Got the house wrap on the whole garage and installed the windows and door (finally :roll: ). Got the metal and tape flashings completed around the windows, door, wall bases and tie-ins to the existing structure, and started on casing the garage door including the support structure for the door yesterday. Should finish that tomorrow so I'll be ready for the garage door installation when it gets here in mid-November. Next comes the siding. Planning a long weekend out of town this coming weekend, so it will probably take me another couple of weeks to get the siding done. More to come later.

Jim