Carpet question

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

Carpet question

Post by loman »

What do you prefer and why? cut and sewn carpet or molded carpet?

popscomet

Re: Carpet question

Post by popscomet »

back in the 90's when I redone my comet,,I used molded,,,,,,,then a year or so later when I went to a 4spd,,I replaced the frt with molded again for the shifter offset,,,,but I forget where I bought it...OL POP has slept to many times since then...but have always been pleased...I just took it out of the box and spread on floor in sun and left it for a day to relaxe while I was at work,,,installed at night with seats.......
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

If the floor pan in the car is not modified molded carpet is a good choice.
If the floor has been modified like in my Cyclone there is no choice but to have someone sew the carpet to fit the floor. I have found that automotive carpet is not all the same, the backing on the carpet can be stiff and difficult to fit even with a steamer. I was able to locate the correct loop carpet in the color I needed with a softer backing that allowed us to fit it to the contours of the floor.
Most suppliers will limit the yardage they sell, I was able to make do with what they would sell in one piece. (5 yards)
https://www.stockinteriors.com
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I never thought about what JIM said if repairs has been done on useing molded carpet,,,,but in my case my comet was and is just like it was built....perfect shape,,,,but that is good advice and info.....pop
pop/glenda

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

I just installed a molded kit for my carpet and im not sure how it is installing a cut and sewn kit but that molded kit was a real PITA to get in the right position to trim it correctly.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

smithhe wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 am
I just installed a molded kit for my carpet and im not sure how it is installing a cut and sewn kit but that molded kit was a real PITA to get in the right position to trim it correctly.
When we installed the sewn style my interior guy made it to fit my floor so installing it was not too much if a challenge. I believe that using the steamer makes all the difference, he would steam an area ( like around the trans tunnel) then put some small “sand bags” on the carpet to hold the shape until it cooled. The pliable backing helped the carpet fit the contours. We did one trick that will make life easier if I ever have to access the shifter for adjustment or trans removal, the carpet on the raised section surrounding the shifter is removable without disturbing the rest of the carpet. Someday that feature will come in handy.
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking cut and sewn for mine as my trans tunnel has been modified. My tunnel was made a little taller when I squeezed the c6 in it. I was also thinking molded, and thought I might be able to slit it or cut a strip out of it where the tunnel meets the floor if needed and get some extra carpet and patch in.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Loman,

We did cut and sewn for all the reasons above. Some of our "customization" made me nervous that the molded wouldn't sit well. That said, we still had to tweak the carpets a little. With any sort of trans tunnel mods I'd definitely lean toward cut/sewn. You can see photos of my installation with questions, etc in our thread. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

If the tunnel was not drastically modified,the molded carpet will work.It might come up a little short on the kick board,passenger side,but mine had enough material to fit under the firewall pad.There was enough extra material on the door jambs to patch in a piece on the tunnel if you need to.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I'm planning to install a T-5 in mine, so I'll be removing the shifter hump and closing the opening. Would a molded carpet for a hardtop automatic work OK?

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I would say if you make a plate that covers the hole and keep the shape in a mirror image of the opposite side a molded carpet for a column shift car will fit. You could probably sell the factory 4 speed floor plate and it would pay for the new carpet.
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

I've decided to go with the cut and sewn carpet. Gonna place order tomorrow. I'm also going to buy extra material in case I decide to leave the rear seat out. When I mentioned getting extra material the other day, I was told they could only sell me 1 extra yard, 36 x 72? I thought that was odd that there was a limit on extra material and I figured an extra yard would only be 36 x 36. When i place order tomorrow, I'll confirm the size again. If it is only 36 x 36 that wouldn't be enough to cover the back seat area if removed.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

loman wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:00 pm
I've decided to go with the cut and sewn carpet. Gonna place order tomorrow. I'm also going to buy extra material in case I decide to leave the rear seat out. When I mentioned getting extra material the other day, I was told they could only sell me 1 extra yard, 36 x 72? I thought that was odd that there was a limit on extra material and I figured an extra yard would only be 36 x 36. When i place order tomorrow, I'll confirm the size again. If it is only 36 x 36 that wouldn't be enough to cover the back seat area if removed.
As I mentioned in a previous post the suppliers are limiting the amount of yardage they will sell. I tried three different suppliers and got the same story from all of them. I finally asked one of the sales reps for the reason, he told me they were really in the business of selling formed carpet sets and if they sold too much yardage they could have a material shortage.
I asked if they could sell me more than 5 yards and they said “off the record” yes if I place two separate orders. The shipping cost is not inexpensive either. I was able to do the interior of the Comet including the back seat area ( or lack of) with what they would sell me. I did the trunk with factory look trunk liner instead of carpet.
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

I received my carpet the other day but it will be a little bit before I install it. I have some other small things I would like to get done first.

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Forgive my ignorance but was it cut and sewn or molded originally?
Careful your character's showing!