Yellow knobs and radio buttons

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
351 Pinto

Yellow knobs and radio buttons

Post by 351 Pinto »

I searched but didn't find anything addressing how to restore old "yellowed" radio buttons (and dash knobs if you have a Falcon). I get a lot of information here but don't have much to offer back to the board, so I am hoping that this may help someone. It works on anything made of light colored ABS plastic.

Pull the buttons straight away from the radio. They just "click" into place.
Put them in a Zip-lock style plastic bag. The bag must be clear.
Pour in "hair developer creme". Don't ask me what it is for because I haven't had hair since the 80s. You can get it at beauty salons or off the interweb. I got mine from Amazon. Experts say to get "Salon 40". I used 20 and it was fine. For you chemists, it is just hydrogen peroxide in a gel form to stick better.
Put in more than you think you need, lock the bag, and move it all around. You want to completely coat the buttons, but you don't want to submerge them as that will block the light.
Set the bag out side in direct sunlight. This takes hours and hours (days?) but it works and it is free. You will have to flip them to get all sides.
OR, if you have access to an ultraviolet light (such as the one your wife puts her hands under after her nails are painted in a nail salon), use this instead of the sun. This cuts the time down immensely. If you have the UV light, or a window that gets lots of sunlight, you can use a container instead of the zip-lock bag. The bag is best if you are putting them outside in case the wind blows them around.
As far as long to leave them in the light, just do it until you are satisfied with the color change. It varies depending on your light source and the creme you use.
before
before
IMG_0409.JPG (119.18 KiB) Viewed 696 times
after
after
IMG_0526.JPG (206.58 KiB) Viewed 696 times

SASSY

Re: Yellow knobs and radio buttons

Post by SASSY »

Cool!
Thanks for posting, I love simple solutions that work!
Now, if I only had something to usd it on,,,.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

power band

Post by power band »

"Better living through chemistry"

Nice, very nice ...

thanks for the XL pics and simple explanes'

Image .

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's a great solution to a problem I don't have. My buttons are chrome. (Or used to be). But for those who need it, it can't be beat. Wonder if it works on teeth....... :mrgreen:

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

That's Cool!