End of Photobucket

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Groover

End of Photobucket

Post by Groover »

I see that Photobucket is finally going to cancel my account if I don't pay (which I won't).

That means that all the photos in my old threads that are on Photobucket are going to break?

Has anybody figured out anyway to resolve this or is that just the end?

I have copies of the photos so that's not an issue, but trying to go back and replace them all in threads would be insane.

Thoughts???
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Re: End of Photobucket

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've been getting those emails from them for a few years now,& several lately. I have thought about replacing a few of the pics at a time in my build thread,but so far haven't started. Started using postimage for the last half of it. had to change a couple digits in the pic codes when they went down a few years back,that wasn't too hard but like you said changing the whole pic in all of them would be too time consuming.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sucks! So much great info and those turkeys are trying to take advantage of us.
I pay their minimum requirement to maintain account but am getting more hassle than it is worth to try to access anything there,,,, 1700 odd pics and vids and I think the vids are just screen shots now.
Fed Up Fred!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

On another car forum I'm on there is the option to contribute to the cost of the forum. One of it's several benefits is the ability to post directly from your devise. That way the pic is there as long as the site is.
Contributing isn't required and pics/vids can be posted from
linked sources like we do here.
The internet is so great. I have learned so much and met many great people but like everything else,,,, greed steps in,,!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Does anyone know what the arrangement is on the cometcentral.com/photo site that Mike set up? I've used it a few times and it seems comparable to photobucket or postimage in functionality, but I wonder if it is linked in to our cometcentral website subscription so that it's guaranteed to be available as long as we keep the website up? That doesn't resolve the problem with photobucket's extortion hold they have on us, but at least (I hope) we would have some control over photos linked to the /photo site. The website is cometcentral.com/photo, and you sign in just like you do for the forum, but it has a banner across the top that says chevereto, so I don't know how "independent" it may be from the forum website's control. :?

Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Just found this from Mike about the cometcentral.com/photo site:
lavron wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 pm
Just to make it clear, I have set up a photo hosting site as part of Comet Central, it is running on the same server as the Forum/Website
Looks like it's linked to the site for as long as we keep up the payments for the site. Apparently Mike was covering this cost all along, so we need to figure out a path forward.

Jim