Alternative heater controls?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

Alternative heater controls?

Post by SASSY »

Just wondering. Im considering different ideas for a center console that comes up to the dash and each idea gets quashed by the heater controls and ashtray.
So my question, does anyone have any idea of a flat control panel that uses the same type cable controls that our system has? Of course I prefer a Ford product but open at this point.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Re: Alternative heater controls?

Post by Joe Travers »

Have you looked into the Mustang or Cougar console, Fred? It comes up to the dash.
I'm trying to remember heater controls. I think they are vacuum actuated. Been too long ago. :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

You could loose the ash tray and relocate the controls to the console. The cables might have to be lengthened but that should not be a big deal. Or just relocate the controls to the inside of the glove box or mount them under the edge of the dashboard.
I removed my ash tray and used the tray face to mount the power window switches.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Might be easier to go back to the earlier 63 & back style with a separate knob for each cable. Most controls only have 2 cable levers.suppose you could make it work somehow. but singles seem simpler to mount,just drill a hole.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CHECK into seperate controls like on a 66 f100,,a knob for each use...just a thought pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks guys ya been looking at images on Google including the 66 gen trks. I have seen anything that has the fresh air door either.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ON my 66f100.the knob you pull for heat ,you also twist it for the blower,,,the heat valve is located in line on a heater hose....then a seperate knob for defroster.....pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred you could figure out how to mount your comet controls behind a new front,,,face of the console. I made a bezel on a truck ,just cut the slots out for the levers;
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks Johno, haven't looked yet but pretty sure I have another heater control assembly to "hack" on so that is certainly a possibility!