Bad running issues

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Comatt

Bad running issues

Post by Comatt »

Hey guys, got my comet out a few weeks ago was running awesome super smooth on the freeway had it out for about an hour. I filled up my tank with some Rec fuel ran the car for about 15-20 minutes and had it parked for a couple weeks. Took it out last night and the car is running terrible. Cranks and cranks and then barely starts. When it does start it will not stay running unless I have my foot on the throttle. It won’t even go forward without some rpm and then when stopped it dies again. Does anyone have any ideas here? The only thing I did to the car was throw the non ethanol Rec fuel in. Everyone told me that’s the best for the car now it barely runs 😢. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Matt

Maine Pilot

Re: Bad running issues

Post by Maine Pilot »

Matt:

I'm sure you'll be getting all sorts of suggestions, so, I'll let you hear mine first.

Two years ago one of my other cars, a relatively late-model Mazda MX-5, exhibited pretty much the same behavior you're experiencing with you car: rough engine, dies if you let up on the gas, etc. Turned out to be an ignition problem. My car has coil over ignition and one sparkplug was mis-firing at low rpms, with the engine shaking and finally dying each time, unless you kept the car going over 45 mph.

Our Comets obviously have the older ignition system with one coil and a distributor. I'd be looking at those items; e.g., cracked distributor housing, points out of adjustment, etc. If you've converted to an electronic timing system, like I have in my '66, look at that too. Since your car was idle for a while, it could be something as simple as moisture/condensation inside your distributor.

I'm not sure what you mean by using "Rec fuel." If it's anything like the regular ethanol-type fuel we get here in New England, it's like a magnet, attracting moisture out of the atmosphere. Internal combustion engines, (ICE), don't run very well with water added. That's why most boat marinas up here carry ethanol-free gas for our engines.

Good luck and let us know if any of the Forum's suggestions give you the key to your troubles.

Bob
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

May have gotten a bad batch of fuel. It's happened to me on several occasions and I don't go back to those stations, problem solved.
Pour a bottle of Heet in the tank, see if it clears up after a couple drives.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Hey Bob, when I was saying Rec fuel that’s what we call the ethanol free “Recreation” fuel here in Michigan. It contains no ethanol but I was wondering if the ethanol free gas would cause these symptoms.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

do you have a new tank on the car & filter?

should run better with no eth gas. but if you still have the stock tank chances are it has a lot of junk in it from the last 58 years.
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

No I replaced the tank with a new one a few years ago. Shouldn’t be anything in there.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

What Bob said is good sound advice. Ck all plugs.then pull each plug wire with it running , look for one that doesn't make any difference either on or off. If you have a pacemaker or heart trouble use some coated plug wire removal pliers. If you can handle a shock do it bare handed, if it shocks you the wire is probably bad .😆😆
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Is there any way to upload a video on here?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You can upload to youtube then put a link to it on here.
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Here’s a link. Does anyone know if this is normal? The spark seems to be arcing towards the bottom

https://youtube.com/shorts/fyFSmcIyMYI?feature=share

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

yea it shouldn't do that. good time for a pertronix points eliminator kit . converts it to electronic ignition. they have 3 different kits,with the top dog having a built in rev limiter. & it goes in your stock distributor so no one will know it's not stock.
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I agree with Johno on the pertronix. Put one in the previous 289 in our 66, worked great.
Motor Safe,
Lee

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

there is no way the ethanol free gas causes problems.its way better fuel.if its fuel related there must have been a flood or storm or some reason it had water in it.but i recommend using ethanol free gas in older engines or any hp application.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The block on the points that rides the distributer cam is moving, throwing ignition timing all over the map.
I'm w/ John. Lots of poopy points and condensers made lately; very poor quality.
If you're in a pinch, look for a GOOD set of points w/ nylon block (if you can find them), not cheapy overseas built. Lube the back of the block w/ dielectric grease.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi