Anyone close to Knoxville TN can look at this Comet

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Caveman49

Anyone close to Knoxville TN can look at this Comet

Post by Caveman49 »

I’m looking at a 66 Comet convertible on CL, was wondering if anyone was close to this car could possibly check it out for me. It’s at least a 7 hour drive for me, too far just to look. I’m concerned about the possible hidden rust it might have underneath. Picture’s don’t look bad, but I’m seeing what looks to be some areas that may have deep seeded rust problems. Owner is willing to come down some, what do you guys think anyway?
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 48109.html
I’d be willing to compensate for time and expenses to anyone close by.
Thanks for any input.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Groover

Re: Anyone close to Knoxville TN can look at this Comet

Post by Groover »

I am not a candidate to take a look, but you asked what we think, so here's what I think. It depends on what you want out of the car. If you want to drive it as is, then get the price as far down under $10k as you can get it and drive it. If you plan to change the engine out, do the body work, and paint the car, then I think the price is more like $8k. I feel like I've seen better bodies for lower price. The wheel arches have been filled and there is rust in front of the rear wheels/at the rockers, which means there is rust in the rear torque boxes. It may not be a show stopper as the boxes are stout, but if you're going to start getting into that body work, it won't be just a rear quarter panel and down the road. If the owner will take more photos, I'd ask for photos of underneath of the front torque boxes (behind the front fender area), remove the trunk liner and get photos of the back side of the wheel arches, remove the front carpet and photos of the floor pans/inside rockers. I'd feel fairly certain there is more rust there, but it may not impede you from driving it a long time. It's if you want to restore, paint, etc that the price will start going up, so the lower price you start at, the more money you have to do that work.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks for your input Groover, I appreciate and respect your opinions, they sort of fall in line with what my suspicions are telling me.
It would be for my daughter, and I’d want it safe for her to just drive for now. I’ve a lot of new parts for front suspension that I was going to use on our 4dr, but would work on the convertible if needed.
I’m more concerned about the unforeseen rust issues, and will ask the owner if he could possibly get some pics of the areas you mentioned. Those areas are a PITA to work with, the more you dig, usually the worse it gets. I experienced that with a 66 Mustang convertible I had, Yikes!
The owner says there has been metal patch work done in places underneath (can see some in the pics), I just wonder if that was all that they did, patch over rust. I believe he got it that way, he says he’s owned a little over a year. Selling because he has too many other projects, and I surely can understand that.
Thanks again for the feedback, and have a great day.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Groover

Post by Groover »

Mine had "metal patches" in the floor boards. Turned out they were pieces of sheet metal riveted in place. :shock:

On a convertible, every piece of metal matters.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Based on the pics he posted, I'd want to particularly know more about these areas:

Jim

Caveman49

Knoxville TN here’s a Comet Convertible for sale

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks Jim, Groover. I’ve text back and forth with him, he seems pretty straightforward on what he knows about the car, and has sent more pictures and a video of a walk around with it running. Engine sounds good and overall it looks fair with the sheet metal, I’m sure there’s bondo in the rear area. It was raining when he did it, so nothing from underneath. One thing I was curious about were the cylindrical cans (I guess you could say) hanging down in the rear (from pic he sent).

I asked him about them and he said they were “cocktail shakers” vibration dampeners that were installed on convertibles. First I ever heard of anything like that. He sent me a link that talked about them, but it was for old convertible Camaros.

I’m going to try and download a pic of it. There it is, I think there’s one on each side (rear area) looks near lower quarter and leaf spring.
I talked with my friend who restored a 66 convertible, he said yes they are there to dampen vibrations.
In any case, I’ve decided to pass on this purchase, all about needs and wants,
Anyone out there who may have an interest in it, the owner is willing to work with the price.

Motor Safe,
Lee