Brake lights dont work through the whole pedal

The Big Comets
Tristan

Brake lights dont work through the whole pedal

Post by Tristan »

Odd title, I know, but once I push the brake pedal in so far, my brake lights turn back off... I'd imagine that it has something to do with the switch at the pedal. Is there an adjustment or does it need replacing? Thanks guys.
ImageImage

rditz

Re: Brake lights dont work through the whole pedal

Post by rditz »

Tristan,

what year is your Comet??

I have a '66 and there is no adjustment on the brake switch. As soon as the plunger on the switch is allowed to extend, then the lights come on and stay on until the brake pedal is released and the pedal is brought back up and collapses the plunger again.

Rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

i have a 66. I looked today and there is no adjustment but the lights do go out after the pedal travels to the point where I need to stop. I wondering if I just need to replace the plunger
ImageImage

rditz

Post by rditz »

Tristan,

did you have the brake switch off at all?? is there a possibility that it is installed wrong?? Does it hit anything that would activate the plunger during the movement of the pedal?? have you checked the wires to make sure there is not a short or an open during the travel??

As I recall, there will be power to one side of the switch constantly. when the pedal is pushed, the plunger is released and creates a complete circuit allowing power to the brake lights. can you connect a test light to the side of the switch that does not have power all the time.. then press the brake pedal.. your test light should light.. watch it through the full pedal travel and see if it goes out.. If you lose brake lights, but not at the switch, then it is likely a wiring problem between the switch and the lights... if you lose the test light, move your test light to the "hot" side of the switch to confirm you still have power there.. if you do, then you have a switch problem...

good luck..

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rod has a good point, make sure your pedal is not pulling an a wire somewhere causing an open.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

So prior to me doing the master cylinder, front wheel cylinders, drums, cylinders, bearings, etc... the brake pedal was just traveling so far that the switch was disengaging..... :roll:
ImageImage