i just bought one and need help.........

The Big Comets
tazgli01

i just bought one and need help.........

Post by tazgli01 »

hi last week i bought a 66 caliente, and i have bunch of questions. to begin i am a foxbody mustang car guy, so this antique car thing is new to me. the comet i bought didnt came with tittle and i cant find the vin number, so definitely need help there. the hood is bent at the hood hinge so i dont really think is repairable, there for i need help to where to find an aftermarket that will work. also what other vehicle hood that is compatible to it or just other recommendations. next, is that my car came with the vinyl hard top which is all messed up so need help there too. the carpet is trashed so i have been looking at the ones from ebay, are they any good will they fit well? and last question (for this threat at least) i want to put some boyd coddington wheels 18" or 20" if possible so if anyone can tell me the bolt pattern and backspacing needed as well as how wide can i go, and if i should do a brake dic conversion. as well as out of what cars i can use to do the disc conversion.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: i just bought one and need help.........

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

First off, where are you located. I know of several stock hoods, tell where you are and i will send you the info on the closest one. Also, 66 and 67 Comet and Cyclone hoods are the only ones that fit your application.

The vin number should be on the drivers side door, unless the door has been changed. Then look under the hood near the driver side shock tower stamped on the upper apron.
Door vin plate example in 66
Under hood vin picture.

Disk brakes from 66-67 Cyclone or 66-67 Fairlane bolt right up. Many others fit with minor adjustments.

Wheel bolt pattern is 5 lug on 4.5 inch pattern.
Last edited by Boss/Cyclone on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Here is a link to decoding your Comet.

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1966-mercur ... ation.html
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tazgli01

Post by tazgli01 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:First off, where are you located. I know of several stock hoods, tell where you are and i will send you the info on the closest one. Also, 66 and 67 Comet and Cyclone hoods are the only ones that fit your application.

i live here in dallas, tx

also thanks for the vin info but i found out that the tag on the door does not show the vin #. i looked for the one that is supposed to be in the firewall but no luck there. will the vin number be anywhere else?

on the wheels any input about being able to fit 18" or 20" and how wide can i go, and backspacing?

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

tazgli01 wrote:

i live here in dallas, tx

also thanks for the vin info but i found out that the tag on the door does not show the vin #. i looked for the one that is supposed to be in the firewall but no luck there. will the vin number be anywhere else?
Vin is not on the firewall and the underhood vin is not a tag. It is stamped on the apron between the shock tower and the headlight on the driver side like the drawing above.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Bud's Salvage, Oklahoma 1-800-375-2837 1-580-463-2424 is the closest to you that I know of. They have a tan one off a 66 Caliente. Stock number 980276. I don't know the price. Good luck.

If 275 miles is too far for you to pick up I can give you a few other yards that have them that would need to be shipped.
Larry

rditz

Post by rditz »

There are a bunch of online stores as well that will have reproduction parts... my favourite was AutoKrafters....

not sure what your clearances will be for the bigger wheels...

Rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior