66 comet suspension

The Big Comets
Tre107

66 comet suspension

Post by Tre107 »

Hi, I have a 66 comet 4-door original 289 car with a 351w swapped into it and I need to find cheap shocks. The shocks are pretty much shot on the car and I was looking for some cheap preferably adjustable shocks. I want to go with stiffer drag shocks and was wondering what my best bet would be and I figured you guys could help me out. Also will I be happier with adjustable shocks or could I find some stiff non-adjustable shocks out there cause right now the thing rides like a boat. Please help

poboyjo65

Re: 66 comet suspension

Post by poboyjo65 »

Your probably not going to find cheap & adjustable in the same shock, unless you get lucky with used ones. I use kyb gas a just shocks which are kinda stiff. too stiff for some guys. perhaps because they had new springs. my comet was floaty at 65 or above, & especially if I went thru the gears hard & when I let up it would be floating all over the place. but the ride at slower speeds was better with my old shocks , which were the other KYB's gr-2's. But I like the gas-a-just kyb's (non adjustable) ,they stiffened it up a lot so it handles great now. so for lower end dollar wise they would be good for what you want. but not as good as a high end adjustable shock.
Johno

Tre107

Post by Tre107 »

That sounds great for what I want thanks! Only trouble is I’m having a hard time finding them, do you have a link to where you got them?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

summit racing;
these look like the front https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb- ... ke/mercury
But I'd call them to save confusion & to be sure & get the right ones.
Johno

Tre107

Post by Tre107 »

Thank you just got them ordered

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tre107 wrote:Thank you just got them ordered
let me know how you like them. I have them all way around on 2 old 70's trucks & my comet. seems like they help old soft worn suspensions.
Johno

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Competition Engineering has inexpensive drag shocks that are adjustable. I have a set I put on my '66 Fairlane when I want to take the Fairlane to the track. I think they are around $40 per shock. Sometimes you can find guys selling good used ones cheap. Don't quote me but If I recall the front shocks are p/n 2610? Good luck!
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd