66 comet windshield

The Big Comets
cyclonbrian

66 comet windshield

Post by cyclonbrian »

I need a windshield for my 66 comet. Where might I find one or would a fairlane windshield work?

Thanks

Brian

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 66 comet windshield

Post by A/FX »

cyclonbrian wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:10 pm
I need a windshield for my 66 comet. Where might I find one or would a fairlane windshield work?

Thanks

Brian
I purchased the glass for my Cyclone from Pilkington Glass. They are a world wide manufacturer of automotive glass and have a Classic Automotive glass division. I picked it up at a local warehouse and did the installation myself.
Jim
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/automo ... motive-agr
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Like Jim said check your local glass supplier.if you dont know who it is call some local body shops & ask them who they get theirs from. & most of them will deliver since they usually install them on site but they said mine would have to brought to their shop if I wanted them to install it.I just had them drop mine off. make sure to tell them if it is a hardtop or sedan.
Johno

cyclonbrian

Post by cyclonbrian »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 pm
Like Jim said check your local glass supplier.if you dont know who it is call some local body shops & ask them who they get theirs from. & most of them will deliver since they usually install them on site but they said mine would have to brought to their shop if I wanted them to install it.I just had them drop mine off. make sure to tell them if it is a hardtop or sedan.
Thank you both for your guidance. I will definitely call and find out.

cyclonbrian

Post by cyclonbrian »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm
cyclonbrian wrote:

Thanks

Brian
I purchased the glass for my Cyclone from Pilkington Glass. They are a world wide manufacturer of automotive glass and have a Classic Automotive glass division. I picked it up at a local warehouse and did the installation myself.
Jim

Jim, Does the windshield need a gasket or does it just glue in?

Thanks

Brian

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

cyclonbrian wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:46 pm
A/FX wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm
cyclonbrian wrote:

Thanks

Brian
Jim

Jim, Does the windshield need a gasket or does it just glue in?

Thanks

Brian
It needs a gasket, on a 64 the lower stainless trim must be installed in the gasket before it is installed in the windscreen, then the whole assembly is installed in the car.
I would think a 66 would be similar.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

cyclonbrian

Post by cyclonbrian »

No luck finding a windshield for the comet. Will a fairlane windshield fit?

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

AutoKrafters says so......for hardtop here

https://www.autokrafters.com/p-21834-wi ... 67clr.aspx

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey Brian, did you ever find a windshield? Just wondering, I may need one. They are installed with a urethane sealer, it’s applied with what could be a caulk gun. Here’s an example:

https://carglassguru.com/the-best-winds ... -reviewed/
Motor Safe,
Lee

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

No response from Brian but I did find some glass availability at Metro Auto Parts Market

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/glass/c ... -c2s1.html

They’re in GA., driving range for me, they said pickup at their place of business is ok. Although if gas prices keep going up, residential delivery might be more cost effective 😲
Motor Safe,
Lee

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

Glad to see some questions I was about to ask come to light again. Luckily I found someone parting out a 4-door and I was able to snag the front/rear windshield. Not to hijack the post, but could anyone tell me if there is a solid source for new seals that are meant to fit the 4 door models? I've been having a bit of trouble and just want to make sure I have the correct parts.

cyclonbrian

Post by cyclonbrian »

Sorry all,

I did find a windshield. With installation it cost me $310.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Spumoni wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:44 am
Glad to see some questions I was about to ask come to light again. Luckily I found someone parting out a 4-door and I was able to snag the front/rear windshield. Not to hijack the post, but could anyone tell me if there is a solid source for new seals that are meant to fit the 4 door models? I've been having a bit of trouble and just want to make sure I have the correct parts.
If it is a 66 or later it may not have seals, but glued in like newer cars? read comments above by caveman ^^^
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

From what I see on my 66, the front is sealed with urethane, no rubber gasket (or seal), and the back does have a rubber gasket around it. I have purchased a gasket to replace the back one, believe I got it from AutoKrafters.
Motor Safe,
Lee

cyclonbrian

Post by cyclonbrian »

That is how mine was installed. No rubber gasket in the front only the back. The installer used a black sealant (do not know what kind or make) and that was it. The previous owner had replaced the front windshield but used construction adhesive to install it. It took the installed 4 hours to remove the old windshield. :shock: