No dash lights

The Big Comets
kcomet67

No dash lights

Post by kcomet67 »

I have no dash lights in my 67. Could it be that all of the bulbs are blown? I have the blue light that shows when the high beams are on and the turn signal indicators work. Just nothing behind the speedo or other gauges.
1967 Comet 202. 289. Work in Progress

Joe Travers

Re: No dash lights

Post by Joe Travers »

The earlier cars have a designated circuit for the instrument lights from the headlight switch (blue/red stripe) w/ an in-line fuse.
Don't know about '66-'67.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Have you checked your fuses?

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

kcomet67 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:03 pm
I have no dash lights in my 67. Could it be that all of the bulbs are blown? I have the blue light that shows when the high beams are on and the turn signal indicators work. Just nothing behind the speedo or other gauges.
They could all be blown. When was the last time they worked?

First thing I would try is the dash light dimmer/rheostat, turn/spin the headlight knob clockwise and see if the dash lights work/get brighter. If you spin it all the way clockwise till it clicks the dome lights should turn on.

If that doesn't work do as Jim said and check the fuse.

Still no lights then I would reach up under dash and pull a bulb, if the bulb is good then check the socket for power, that is if the socket is wired, if it goes into a printed circuit type board/sheet it might be harder to test for power. I think it should be wired, not sure when the printed circuits started.

Still no luck check the headlight switch. The spring on the rheostat could have broke or the rheostat could have gone bad.

The High beam and turn signal indicators work off different circuits. They have nothing to do with dash lights. But since they do work I would think is is safe to assume the dash ground is good and not worry if dash lights have ground. Since they all ( dash lights and indicator lights) go into same dash assembly.

Lou

kcomet67

Post by kcomet67 »

Not sure when they last worked I just picked the car up a couple of days ago. Where is the fuse box at? I turned the knob back and still nothing. Does anyone have a fuse diagram by chance?

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Fuse box is up under the dash sorta behind the fresh air vent, mounted to the firewall. At least it is on our 66.

Lou has mentioned pretty much all the things to check. Matter of fact, it gives me a couple more areas to look, they’re not working for me either. Have not driven at night yet, still in my shop/garage waiting for some parts.
Motor Safe,
Lee

kcomet67

Post by kcomet67 »

Thanks I will start there and see what I can figure out. I also noticed that my wipers don’t work.

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

kcomet67 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:48 am
Thanks I will start there and see what I can figure out. I also noticed that my wipers don’t work.
:shock: :shock: Not the wipers!! :shock: :shock:

Lot's of info on wipers here... see the thread on Wiper Motor Replacement. Good Luck and feel free to reach out once you've started down the wiper rabbit hole. :)

Jim

kcomet67

Post by kcomet67 »

Just what I wanted to hear Jim lol. Sounds like I will have fun with that issue. :D

kcomet67

Post by kcomet67 »

Dash lights are fixed!! Had to wiggle the headlight switch and boom dash lights. Havent had any issues out of them since.