66 Rear Bumper

The Big Comets
Jurz

66 Rear Bumper

Post by Jurz »

I purchased my 66 with no rear bumper and now have to locate something for it. I was looking at the Fairlane bumpers and they are really close when comparing photos on the web it seems the brackets are the only difference and with that the bolt locations. My question is are these bumpers usable on a 66 with a little fabrication on the brackets?

cyclonbrian

Re: 66 Rear Bumper

Post by cyclonbrian »

I am in the same boat with my 66 caliente. It would be great if they are interchangeable.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Even though these cars are somewhat very similar there are vast differences in the body panels. Probably only the hood would directly interchange, with the right body lines.
I’ve talked with a friend of mine, who has restored three 66s, and he said there are differences from the fairlane, and wasn’t real sure how much modification would be needed for the rear bumper. He has looked at the fronts and said there are several differences, and the rears are even shaped different somewhat.

That said, he has a couple 66 bumpers, but would only sell if you pickup. I can understand, it’s a PITA for us older folks, above 70 to mess with shipping large items. In any case, he will take $100ea for the bumpers, you come help dig them out. They’ll probably need rechromed at least. He’s located in Dothan Alabama.

Let me know if you may be interested.
Last edited by Caveman49 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

This is well worth the price- https://www.ebay.com/itm/403353133699?h ... SwSt1ht0CA

It'll cost you $500+ shipping to re-chrome one if you find one.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

Not sure if you’re against going the fiberglass route but Crites has reproduction fronts and rears for $211 a piece. I’ve been contemplating going with theirs and having a local vinyl shop wrap them both in Chrome vinyl. For the cost of both bumpers and the work to have them wrapped it’s cheaper then some of the factory or rechromed bumpers I’ve seen surface on EBay or Facebook.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Spumoni wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:35 pm
Not sure if you’re against going the fiberglass route but Crites has reproduction fronts and rears for $211 a piece. I’ve been contemplating going with theirs and having a local vinyl shop wrap them both in Chrome vinyl. For the cost of both bumpers and the work to have them wrapped it’s cheaper then some of the factory or rechromed bumpers I’ve seen surface on EBay or Facebook.
I had the same idea but never acted on it. If you do this post pictures.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

cyclonbrian

Post by cyclonbrian »

This might be the only way to go. I am on the west coast and it is a bear to fins the bumpers that do not cost and arm and a leg.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

cyclonbrian wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:51 am
This might be the only way to go. I am on the west coast and it is a bear to fins the bumpers that do not cost and arm and a leg.
If you don't want to spend the $$, find a straight one and strip & paint the pair.
I think they look pretty good myself, esp. semi-gloss black.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi