Steering Column Cover Removal

The Big Comets
Spumoni

Steering Column Cover Removal

Post by Spumoni »

Hey Everyone,

So not only am I wanting to pull the cover to clean and respray it, I'm also looking to convert from column to floor shift.

I'm wanting to get to get everything removed and sorted so I can complete this but I'm having a few issues on removal that I'm sure are super simple.

I've removed the bolts around the firewall although I believe those are only for the metal cover and rubber gasket and not directly attached.

I've also removed the U clamp that holds it to the dashboard, what else am I missing to get the column cover pulled off?

I can't seem to see anything around the steering box, just a rubber sleeve looks clamped on. Everything on the interior side has been removed though.

Like I said, I'm sure the issue is staring me right in the face, I'm probably just overlooking it.

poboyjo65

Re: Steering Column Cover Removal

Post by poboyjo65 »

what year is it?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Spumoni wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:52 am
I can't seem to see anything around the steering box, just a rubber sleeve looks clamped on.
Look at the 'rubber sleeve', see if it attaches to the steering box w/ two nuts.
Most likely a rag joint but need a picture to be sure. IIRC, they were introduced sometime in '66.
Safety measure to keep the steering wheel from taking you out in a head-on collision.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

So let me make sure I understand what you’re trying to do. Remove the steering column to paint it, is that right?
Motor Safe,
Lee

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

I apologize if the post was a bit misleading, I'm planning to remove the column cover so I can sand/paint the dash as well as the cover. I'll be working on it this evening so I'll try to get pictures if I run into any issues. The steering wheel has been removed as well as everything within the shift collar, along with the u clamp bolts that mount it to the dash and the bolts for the plate on the firewall. I'll try to get a better look at the steering box to see if I can find where it's connected.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

No apologies needed, I just wanted to make sure that’s what you were asking about. I’ve never removed one from a 66, but did on a 65 and it removed just like the 66 Mustang as best I remember. Do you have manual or power steering, automatic or standard shift? I don’t know if it makes much difference, but the seals at the firewall are a bit different. I’m sending a pic out of my shop manual, that may help.

I’ll send removal instructions from the manual if you like, need to know questions from above.
Attachments
Steering
Steering
1E6CE040-2409-4602-BB68-C9130E74FCCA.jpeg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Motor Safe,
Lee