66 Trunk Photo-Spare Tire location

The Big Comets
JimsHot66

66 Trunk Photo-Spare Tire location

Post by JimsHot66 »

Can anyone post a photo of the trunk of their 66 Comet (mine below for reference)? I’m pretty sure my trunk’s been modified and would be curious to see a stock trunk to compare (I know that's a Mustang gas tank, mounted sideways). Also, my spare tire is held in place with a bungee cord. I’m going to change that. I have a hold down kit on order and was going to mount it on the rear, driver’s side of trunk (see white mark lower left of photo). When I pulled the trunk mat out I realized there is already a mounting bracket in place, up by the back seat (upper left of photo). Is this where the spare typically goes?

Thanks!
Jim

Caveman49

Re: 66 Trunk Photo-Spare Tire location

Post by Caveman49 »

A couple of my spare. I’m just figuring out this post image site 😬

Motor Safe,
Lee

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks Lee!

It didn't look like my spare would fit in that same location, but it will. I get the parts today so will find out soon enough.

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Were you able to get all the parts needed? That hold-down clamp (I guess you can call it) that is under the big wing nut, holding the jack and tire iron in place, is hard to find. I luckily found one at the Moultrie GA swap meet last year. I got the jack off eBay, in good condition. Hope we never have to use it, but just in case, it’s there.
Motor Safe,
Lee

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:42 am
Were you able to get all the parts needed? That hold-down clamp (I guess you can call it) that is under the big wing nut, holding the jack and tire iron in place, is hard to find. I luckily found one at the Moultrie GA swap meet last year. I got the jack off eBay, in good condition. Hope we never have to use it, but just in case, it’s there.
I bought a Spare Tire Hold Down kit for $6.00 at O'Reilly's. My car came with a scissors jack and ratchet lug wrench, which fits nicely in that cubby in the trunk. I'm glad I can bury the spare tire in the trunk like this and also hope I never need it.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Nice! Your trunk looks good, nice and clean, cool wheel cover too.
Motor Safe,
Lee