Borgeson install

The Big Comets
lazer

Borgeson install

Post by lazer »

Well its been a while but this is how far I am. I pulled my motor for a rebuild so that gave me plenty of room to put the Borgeson unit in. When I first called the company to ask about the install they told me that I would have to cut 21/2" off of my steering column. Wrong. I'm about a inch or so from the firewall on the inside of the car. The new pump mounted fine and I went with https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRG-012564 u-joint. I cut the steering shaft and had the u joint welded on. I had to keep putting the column and steering shaft in and out to get my measurements to cut both. It is all installed and waiting on my engine install to hook it up and try it out. When you are loosening or tightening the 2 bolts that hold the steering column in, use a socket and a 6"-9' extension and no socket wrench, just by hand till you make your final install. It was much easier and I loosened the dash instrument panel, not fully taken out, but just so I could put it to the side so I could see where the 2 steering column bolts go. I'll change the dash bulbs while it's out. It's not really that bad but I do have the engine out, big difference. I'll probably get a cooler for the steering fluid, because the new steering box will be right next to a header tube. I'll check back in when it's up and running.....I hope?!?

SASSY

Re: Borgeson install

Post by SASSY »

Thanks for the update! Always great to read updates are progressing.
If I had room for a fluid pump on the motor I would have considered the same approach.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I’ll be interested in how this comes out, I’m considering the same setup. Thanks for the update.
Motor Safe,
Lee

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Going through the same thing with a guy's 67 Fairlane. He did the cutting according to Borgeson instructions.When I came on the scene,the joint he had was half way through the fire wall and when the box was bolted up,didn't line up with the column. Borgeson suggested using shims behind the box to line things up but now the headers have no chance of fitting. I haven't got in to this too deep but looks like a real mess to me with a bunch of fabrication to make it work. Borgeson said it was a bolt on deal but definitely not happening here.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Yeah, go figure. That’s sounds about right if I were to attempt it. Thanks for the feedback vicegrip.
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

on the 65's the u joint or rag joint in my case landed half in half out of the firewall. didnt have to shim from frame but that wouldn't have slowed me down much. yea a little work now but it'll all be worth it.yea headers were a pain,I did a lot of grunting & cussing but whats new about that? they are always a pain. I would think the bigger/wider bodys of the 66's & 67's that it would be easier?

build in all the positive caster you can get . think I had +3° or +3.5° caster & it has pretty good return to center. If I ever tear down the frontend again I'm going to try to get +5° caster.

but you will love the easier turning & less turns of it, add a smaller steering wheel & it makes it feel a lot more like a modern driving car.
Johno

lazer

Post by lazer »

Got the engine in and got the pump hooked up with the hoses.I will have to get longer hoses as both of them are right next to the headers. But I did have the engine running and the steering worked fine. I haven't been driving yet so we will see. This is the only way I could figure to set the pump up. Never mind this site says my pictures are too large to post, I don't have problems anywhere else. I am defiantly getting a cooler for this steering set up.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used a B&M trans cooler for mine & put it way over on the passenger side. just the longer lines should help cool it,especially going across behind the grill was my thinking, & this big thick cooler should really help cool it down.

on the pics if you use a pic host like post image it you can set it to automatically reduce pic sizes as you upload the pics. this way you dont have to resize every time you put new pics on it. here is a thread on it ;
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 044#p97044
we'd love to see your progress!!!! :D :D
Johno

lazer

Post by lazer »

I had a new pressure hose made up 9" longer and 3 feet on non pressure hose and a power steering cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I drove the car for the first time in 2 years a little bit and the steering is very nice, it felt like I was driving in my wife's car. At first I wasn't even thinking about the steering as I'm tuning my engine and when I was done driving, I thought, holly crap the steering was great! No leaks anywhere. I did mine with the engine out so it wasn't that bad. If I did it engine in, I would take the brake master cylinder out and move the brake lines out of the way. It would be a pain in the butt but I can see how it would be done. I had no issues with my FPA headers on a 390, didn't have to shim anything. On a car like mine I would recommend the u-joint to join the steering shaft to the steering box. I had the u-joint welded to the steering column. Well worth it!

lazer

Post by lazer »

Image This is how I have the pump mounted till I get the proper brackets. It has the 2 bolts coming off of the head then there is a turnbuckle?? from a water pump bolt to 1 of the 2 bolts from the head to stabilize it. It's holding pretty good but I wouldn't trust it for the long haul.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks pretty solid to me.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Looks as sturdy as an alternator mount to me.
I found turnbuckles to be okay if they are easily accessible (on top). I'd keep it if you can mount it that way, JMO.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

ford used a saginaw pump like that on some heavier duty vans & trucks & with 351w's. I found one of these with brackets & ordered a new or rebuilt pump for it. The brackets bolted up to my 302 since its basically same head as a 351w at least the mount holes on the front of it. the brackets give it a more stock look. not correct but most people that see my car would not know the difference,,,considering most cant remember the car or never saw one like it.

for the record I first used a ford thompson style pump with the borgesen unit. it did ok. but the saginaw is better,especially at idle ,turning sitting still & slow moving. It was a very noticeable improvement.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:16 pm
ford used a saginaw pump like that on some heavier duty vans & trucks & with 351w's. I found one of these with brackets & ordered a new or rebuilt pump for it.
I like the Saginaw pump, as well. Small and efficient.

Here's pattern for the bracket but not sure if this is FE or 385.
https://www.unisteer.com/collections/fo ... i-tc-black

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi