66 comet build thread

The Big Comets
Bad Brad

66 comet build thread

Post by Bad Brad »

Ok, so I am going to start one thread for all my build stuff. This car will take me many years to build, so this won't be the most exciting thread! Lol.

I have decided on a path for my car. I want to build a car I can take to the road track! I am not going to build a track only car, but a nice cruiser that handles well. I am on a super tight budget, so this will not be some high end pro touring car!!!
Here is the care now:

Here is a quick Photoshop of what I have in my head:

If anyone has any words of wisdom on how to make these cars lower and handling good, feel free to let me know.
Thanks for all the help I have received so far.
We all pay the price for having something unique!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 66 comet build thread

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Your photoshop looks cool. Keep plugging away, it will get done some day.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Thank you. I am in no hurry to get it done. I just enjoy working on it. The tough part is trying to find the balance of how far to take it. I want to do it right the first time, but I also don't want to just make more work for myself than need be. I will get it hammered out soon enough. With a wife and 2 kids, things always seem to take priority over working in the garage! lol

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

In my opinion,stay with mostly stock parts,if they were good enough for early Trans Am racers they should still work.For a budget build,get a good set of 620lb lowering coil springs,lower[1" Shelby Drop]the front A-arms,get a bigger front sway bar for the front.On the rear you can use lowering blocks or have a set of leaves made with the drop built in,get a bolt on rear sway bar and fabricate either a watts link,a pivot point on the center of the housing,with an upper and a lower bar that run to opposite frame rails,to keep the rear end centered.You could also just run a panhard bar to keep the rear centered,kits are available that bolt the mount to the pinion support and you weld or bolt the frame mount and run a single bar between the mounts.Get some good adjustable shocks or at least some stout gas shocks.All of these mods could be done as you can afford them,you won't need to do them all at once.You will also want to stiffen the unibody with some weld-in subframe connectors at the very least,you have a head start over a hardtop or convertible as you have a sedan which is stronger,and lighter.I have been helping build a 65 2dr sedan into a road handler,we just cut 1 1/2 coils from V-8 coils,put a 1 1/8" front sway bar,gas shocks for the front.We put 2" blocks on back,a 1" rear sway bar,and gas shocks.The handling is crazy,it is hard to believe it is the same car!!It still has 14" radials and drum brakes,he plans on at least front discs,possibly rear discs too,but wants to keep the "Sleeper"look of the 14" wheels and poverty caps,may got to a widened steel wheel with a beefier tire. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Awesome!!! You the man Roy! I was wondering about the blocks in the rear if they would hold up to cornering or not, but they must be fine. I thinking is easy to get caught up in these high end builds on the forums, but I don't need some elaborate suspension set up. I really do appreciate all the advice you give since there aren't too many ford guys around here and all my car buddies are drag racers. Brad

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Brad,so far the blocks have held up OK,but the owner has not really leaned hard on the Comet.I guess if they hold up on a zillion 4X4s they should work on a street car.I feel you will have a very cool and unique Comet when you are finished,that is a blast to drive!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

yes ive heard storys about blocks, but never had any problems myself. matter of fact im swapping my one inch for twos this week. i build my own from 2 inch tubing but never had any issues steel or aluminum. although i had to have a custom U bolt made 2.5 inch by 8 inch long. ordered from "Huskey" make any legnth you want under $10 each. i also uped to 1/2 inch. but anyhow, Brad build looks like a great plan, love the look.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

cometfairlaneman

Post by cometfairlaneman »

Hey that Comet with your custom rims looks familiar. Looks like my old car. That is my old car.These are the rims I use to run. :D BBS 17x9