Anyone running 17 x 7 Wheels

The Big Comets
B_Hix

Anyone running 17 x 7 Wheels

Post by B_Hix »

Just wondering if anyone in the 66-69 category has moved up to the 17 x 7 wheels? Running a 245/55/17 tire should fit, but I'm not spending the money on 'should' :mrgreen:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Lip Ripper

Re: Anyone running 17 x 7 Wheels

Post by Lip Ripper »

You can buy a set of wheels and tires in the 17 size at; shoot I can't remember but it is for the 65/66 Mustang. Anyway they're around $1000 mounted and balanced.

Here they are at Mustang's Unlimited. They have all sorts of sets.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... y=EMUSTANG
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have 17x7's on my 66 Mustang, from a 2001 Cobra, so they should easily fit on a 66 Comet. Just make sure you have the right offset. I have Comp TA's on them.

Check this Comet out!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Thanks guys - both the Mustang and the Comet look great. I guess I'll save up some scratch and go with the 17 x 7's. Hate to replace the Cragar's, but the front wheels are bad from the previous owner running the tires out of balance. As much as I love the classis cragar s/s rims I DONT like the uni-lug rims...

So I'll make that change eventually I guess.
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

B_Hix wrote:Thanks guys - both the Mustang and the Comet look great. I guess I'll save up some scratch and go with the 17 x 7's. Hate to replace the Cragar's, but the front wheels are bad from the previous owner running the tires out of balance. As much as I love the classis cragar s/s rims I DONT like the uni-lug rims...

So I'll make that change eventually I guess.

Cragar make a S/S in a non-unilug rim, called their direct drill . Also in larger diameter.
http://www.cragarwheel.com/images/media ... CHROME.pdf
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I'll be darn...never seen those advertised :shock: I'd sure feel bettr changing two wheels rather than 4. Had to buy new rims for proper backspacing in the rear.... Then I only recently find out one of the front rims is bent. Couldn;t see myself buying unilug again - they aways seem to have balance problems.

Good stuff Boss ^^ thanks
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun