New Stance Pic

The Big Comets
B_Hix

New Stance Pic

Post by B_Hix »

A while back Fred said "now to just drop it down a bit" - well sir, I was like minded, just had to work around to it ;) I Went to a local show this weekend, which the picture below is from. My front springs have settled, so now the new stance for my car is very evident. The front dropped by 1.75" with no rubbing at all - I can turn the wheel fully and still get my hand between the fender and tire - very happy with that.

The Calvert leafs I put on were 1" drop, putting the lip right over the top of the rim, which I love. She still rides nice and corners great, the front drop helped that out. I also put 90/10 drag shocks up front - the car grabs a LOT better - the picture rear tires are 235/60-15 BFG drag radials.

Hoping to get the subframe connectors in next - hate to rip out the carpet, but I do have a new one in the garage...just gotta get busy.

Last edited by B_Hix on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Lip Ripper

Re: New Stance Pic

Post by Lip Ripper »

Looks great. What rear rim and backspacing?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

LR I'm running 15 x 8 Cragar S/S wheels with 4.25" backspacing with these tires, which are BFG G-Force T/A drag Radials, 235/60-15s (NOT 245's per my last post, sorry).

This tire is 26.1" tall and has a section width of about 10" on the 8" rim. I have about .8- 1" of space between the sidewall and the fender lip. Looking under the car I can easily run a wheel with 4.75" of backspacing and a fatter tire. The drag radials were for fitment and will be coming off soon. I'll go to a fatter drag radial after I use up these, which I got free from a buddy that got them on a trade.

I am ordering these Cragar wheels for the drag radials/track days: http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/3975812P/10002/-1 - these give me another 1/2" of backspacing.

The street tires that I will be putting on are BFG Radial T/As, 255/60-15. These are 27" tall and have a section with of 10.2". These tires will lower my revs for highway cruising and also put 1" more rubber on the ground vs the old 225/60's that were originally on the car. I know that a 255/60 will fit because I took the 275/60's (which have a section width of 10 point eight) off my brand x and mounted them - they fit ok, but the sidewall was only about 1/4" from the fender lip - too close, too risky, so stepped down to the 255. The tires should be here mid week...
Last edited by B_Hix on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Keep in mind that a set of aluminum wheels will get you a tenth. Doesn't sound like much be you will see that at a certain point tenth's are harder to get.

Gettin that ass down can't hurt the traction either. I am encouraged that you're getting the tire tucked into there.
LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

yes sir - when I first got the car, with the 3" lift in the back it hopped like crazy - it was terri-bad and I hated the look, but the near dead engine and trans demanded my immediate attention. Really frustrated me when I put stock shackles back on the car and a new set of leafs and the rear barley came down. I'm not convinced that they sent me the right leafs for the car... I ordered the mon-leafs with the 1" drop having no idea where the rear really would be because I just didn't have a good baseline to go off of. Once I installed that whole setup it looked like I had 4 bodies in the trunk - it was clear the nose had to drop. Soooo glad it has all worked out, and very happy with where it is now.

With respect to aluminum rims, your right, as usual - these Cragars are pretty darn heavy. I love the S/S, but would like to change the entire set one day to something lighter. Just can't quite justify spending the money to replace the wheels yet as there are so many things competing for my limited 'toy fund' (sadface).

Giant swap meet in August, hoping to sell enough stuff that is laying around to fund a wheel exchange :) I'm convinced this is a low 12-second car - before the season is over I'll know for sure :wink:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun