the goodies..
broken hood hindge scratched the fenders pretty good :cry:
they are in finally...
67 caliente

tomahawkcomet

Re: some weekend fun..

Post by tomahawkcomet »

the x pipe we fabed up
i havent decided if its going dump downs after the axle or if im go out the back couple more pics of goodies to come the comets still on the lift :)
67 caliente

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

almost forgot!....kicker solo L7s :)
yep it gets pretty loud :mrgreen:
67 caliente

Munssey

Post by Munssey »

nicely done! pretty loud in more than one way.

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

67 caliente

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

go for it !! best of luck...POP
pop/glenda

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

Quick question tho, the old 2 bbl had a spacer with a hose barb for pvc valve that comes out of the valve cover...well theres also a spot on back of the new edlebrok carb does it go there or in the manifold which also has a hole maybe for it? I dono but i can get a some pics if need any help seein what im saying
67 caliente

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

heres few pics of what im talkin about, first question sorry im more fuel injection then carb my first old car, what hooks up to the back of the carb? and does the pvc go into the back of the manifold were the hole is under the carb any help will help lol
67 caliente

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

i noticed some ppl just have those air filter breather caps does it just relieve crank pressure or does it need to be cycled back thro the motor??
67 caliente

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HOOK pcv hose to back of carb,I run a 1/2 or so thick fiber plate under my 2 edelbroks on my comet.TRANSFER ,heater hose and temp sending unit from old man to new one,you may have to use an adapter,when you screw heat sending unit if you happen to use thread tape,make one wrap,that way you'll fill in the threads but they will stand a better chance of making a contact,so's the heat gauge will work,cause it works from being able to ground itself,,,,all the other holes in the manifold require a screw in plug...you can bolt the new carb right down on the manifold,but I like to run a spacer,,the spacer helps transfer heat away from the carb. THE old pvc hose will be to big,just get you 1 alittle smaller in DIA,upon doing this you may have to replace the PCV itself.on the intak gaskets,if you use the 2 end (CORK) gaskets,put extra glue on all 4 corners,some just run a thick bead of silcon on the ends,not me,but you do it your way,,I like to put a ever so thin layer of glue around the water ports on the ends ,give it a minute or 2 ,apply my side gaskets,then the end ones and like i said,extra glue on all 4 corners and wait a couple of min then sit the intak stright down ,try not to let it slid,feel back at the back and make sure the cork gask did not slip and it feels even from side to side,SBF are the worst to have a leak from the intake,,you can see the front of the cork gasket.all this is the way I do it,so that makes it JMO,,,good luck and have a good time with your ride and always try to have fun while working on this old car...do not over tighten intake bolts,run them down even then start in the middle and work out to the ends,look at your front cork gasket and make sure you ain't pooched it out,like I said,this is pop's way, :) pop
pop/glenda

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

hey pop thanks i was just wondering about the pvc hose that was just a mock up to see if i have hood room with the new intake carb and air breather, its gonna be close! i dono if i have a half inch..but deffinatly get a spacer and try it tho. good write up on how to install the intake i wouldnt change a thing!
67 caliente

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANK YOU,,with out spacer to soak up some heat,a lot of times when you stop the motor for awhile and try to restart it,it'll crank over like it's flooded,and in fact it is,because all that heat has consumed the carb and it actualy BOILS the gas over into the intake from the float bowls,thus causeing servere cranking and it black smokes when it does start..you know you have to hold the pedal to the floor,while trying to start a flooded motor,when you floor it you dump just that much more fuel down it's throat,,those fiber spacers that EDELROCK sells work good.They come in different thickness,.thanks again....need anything else ? just post it,,,someone will reply......POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tomahawkcomet wrote:hey pop thanks i was just wondering about the pvc hose that was just a mock up to see if i have hood room with the new intake carb and air breather, its gonna be close! i dono if i have a half inch..but deffinatly get a spacer and try it tho. good write up on how to install the intake i wouldnt change a thing!
FORGOT to mention,just before I put the intake on,I always smear just plain wheel bearing grease on the end gaskets (CORK)
pop/glenda

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

ok sorry guess on the update, my airfilter wouldn't work due to the fact of the electric choke and fuel line, so I had a dual intake set up laying around but I had to order new air filters plus need to have the carb tuned and im not to much of an expert on that, but it starts runs but my belts squeal and scream now no matter how well I get them tight, its just a v groove pullies is there certain belts I can buy that wont squeal? help me out guys! I miss driving the comet!
67 caliente

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MAYBE your belts are old and dry,,a new set might be the fix,,,BUT,,,I've done this and seen it work many times,an old man showed me years ago,with the motor ideling,take a bar of hand soap and touch it to the belt,you may have to do it ever so often,but I'd by very careful,but it does work !! are your pullys all lined up stright? and the better the soap smells,the more you'll do it( not really,POP made that part up :lol: ) they make a plastic spacer for the top of the carb to lift the air cleaner higher off the carb to clear ,but depending on how flat your breather base is,you might be better off just to replace it. good luck....pop
pop/glenda