Swapping from bench to bucket seats

The Big Comets
Jedeka

Swapping from bench to bucket seats

Post by Jedeka »

Who has done this? I have seen a bracket on eBay for bucket seat installation and need one for each seat. Am I on the right path? Thanks.

Comechero65

Re: Swapping from bench to bucket seats

Post by Comechero65 »

You should be able to pull the bench out and the bucket seat outer track should slip right into the two holes. You'll have to drill two holes for the inner track. If the comet is like a falcon the inner rear holes needs a spacer as it's at a different height than the other 3 holes. There was a factory spacer for that one bolt but if you don't have it just fab a spacer to make up the difference. Not a complicated install. My Comechero came with a bench originally.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My car had the inside holes for buckets from the factory that were brazed up. it seems to have came with a bench seat,( no signs of a console bracket) . so I just ground off & beat out the brazing. it had all of the reinforcement pc.s on the bottom of the car. :?

it will need the spacer Ron mentioned .
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:My car had the inside holes for buckets from the factory that were brazed up. it seems to have came with a bench seat,( no signs of a console bracket) . so I just ground off & beat out the brazing. it had all of the reinforcement pc.s on the bottom of the car. :?

it will need the spacer Ron mentioned .
I wonder if that was done by the factory or did someone switch from a bucket to the bench? I would think the floor pan would not have those holes if it had been planed to have a bench at the factory. Factory doesn't normally stamp in the extra holes unless they plan to use them. Can't quite see the workers brazing up extra holes.
Ron

1967Comet

Post by 1967Comet »

In my younger years; I pulled the bench from my '67 Comet 202 and stuffed a pair of buckets from my dad's wrecked '66 Cyclone. They bolted right in like such. His buckets had the factory spacer for the inboard rear bolts and my car had dimples I could use as drill guides when I drilled up from under the car.

They work great (been in since 1997) but last weekend I FINALLY found a bench seat for the car (been looking for years; we have no clue where the original went). I've got to take it for upholstery (with the back seat) when I win the lotto some day.
Look slow, Go Fast and Act Surprised
1967 Mercury Comet 202 (Wimbledon White)

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Don't know about Comets but falcons especially in 65 but possibly earlier years too had a special metal tab spot welded to the front ribbed area under the seat. A spring was attached to that to help pull the bench seat forward when you release the track adjusting handle. Bench seats because of their length and weight needed the helper springs, one at each end. Bucket seats don't usually need the helper spring.
When I installed buckets in mine I removed that metal tab and welded in the hole. With any change from a bench to a bucket there might be evidence of where that tab used to be, at least on a falcon.
Looks like this(not mine):
Ron