66 Comet Caliente, What to offer

The Big Comets
hgiljr

66 Comet Caliente, What to offer

Post by hgiljr »

Good day everyone. My hunt for a Comet, I came across this one and was looking for some feedback from the experts on what you think it would be worth. Here is the info on the car:

1966 Mercury Comet Caliente convertible , fresh paint , New professionally installed convertible top with GLASS back window , New tires and wheels , New dual exhaust , New leaf springs , New carpet, New old looking radio that's digital with usb for iPod, newer interior , convertible frame completely rebuilt (new bushings) and repainted , factory 289 2 barrel carb , automatic trans . there were only 3200 1966 caliente convertibles made. This car was built to be a daily driver . runs and drives really great . Small oil leak from tranny. All drum brakes, No rust. No power steering. Not sure when engine was rebuilt or tranny. Asking $16500

Pictures:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2FLrsT

Lip Ripper

Re: 66 Comet Caliente, What to offer

Post by Lip Ripper »

Hmm, you must live in Florida. That was a car that I bought a few years ago from Kansas. It has been stored since the 70's. The title purchase date from the guy I got it from was 1974. The 78,000 is actual mileage. I could tell by the tack strips that it had only had the original top. Given my back trouble I opted to not restore it and sold it to this guy. The car is really solid and runs very good. I don't know if he had the bumpers replated since he doesn't mention it. They are very good cores and should be replated in my opinion. $350-400 each was the quote from Gulf plating. He said the paint work could've been better but he got a good deal from a friend on the repaint. He'll tell you the same; he is a stand up guy. It is a nice car and I would say go drive it, if you love it then go with your gut and make him an offer. He built this car for a gift to his wife. She must not have been in love with it like he thought she would.

And the interior is new it had just never been put back together after the upholstery work.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.