Heater Fan Switch/Wiper Switch

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

Heater Fan Switch/Wiper Switch

Post by Maine Pilot »

When I first bought my '66 Caliente two years ago, the heater fan switch worked normally; i.e., OFF and 3 progressive fan speeds. However, when cold weather hit my area a couple of weeks ago and I used the switch, there was no difference between the low, medium and high speeds--all I had was apparently just the "high" speed.

No work was done in the vicinity of the switch or heater fan, so what might cause the loss of the intermediate speeds? Can this be fixed or does the whole heater switch on the dashboard need to be replaced--if so, can anyone direct me to a place that would carry these switches? Are the switches from other Comet years or the Fairlanes compatible with the Comets?

Also, there seems to be only one speed on the windshield wipers--should there be more? What is the function of that small button on the center of the main rotary switch? There's no windshield washer bag, although in the engine compartment there seems to be a plastic reservoir with a Mercury logo embossed--but no hoses are hooked up to it. Next to it is a small metal bracket that looks like it might have held a bottle of something--any ideas what that's for?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

comethead

Re: Heater Fan Switch/Wiper Switch

Post by comethead »

The 3 speed heater motor is actually a single ( high) speed with a resistor to slow it down.
The resistor is located on the heater box with a small plug attached to it. If it's faulty it can be replaced
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake- ... 2OA18591A/

Not sure about the wiper switch but it sounds like the washer button. Someone probably removed the other parts of the system.
Good luck.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Thanks for the info about the resistor module. The accompanying picture helped out immensely. I'll see if I can find one at a local supply source like NAPA, but if not, I'll try the CJ Pony source.

Bob

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mine had the little metal bracket. it is for a glass bottle of concentrated detergent (with antifreeze) that could be added when filling up the plastic reservoir. bottle is made by rotunda & I believe it was a dealer installed item. You may have a foot pump ,,a little pedal on the left side .

your switch ,the little knob ,if it is like my 65 is for delayed wipers. there may be a thing on the firewall with vacuum lines running to it that senses a vacuum drop & speeds up the wipers then when vacuum is back higher the wipers slow back down to where you have the delay set. not many freeways back then & 2 lane driving meant lots of passing , so it would speed up the wipers when you passed a car or just tromped on it & then slow back down when you did. the wiper switch will also have vacuum lines running to it if it is like the 65s with this option. someone may have unhooked it all or plugged it if it developed a vacuum leak to make the car quit missing. if vacuum is hooked back up you may have more wiper speeds. This is just my best guess ! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

No foot pump and it appears to have electric wipers--not the vacuum type. The wiper knob (on the dashboard) can be turned with several detents in a clock-wise direction and even another one counter-clockwise past the "OFF" position, but again, it only seems to give me one constant speed. The Owner's Manual doesn't have any info on the use of the wiper switch.

Any ideas where one could find one of those replacement bottles for the concentrated detergent? The Owner's Manual doesn't mentioned anything about that bottle, or a foot pump. Probably wouldn't use it, but thought it might be nice to have an authentic-looking engine compartment.

It's amazing how far we've come vis-à-vis Owner's Manuals. My 2013 Toyota Tundra has over 500 pages!!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

no I didn't mean vacuum operated wipers or powered by vacuum. wipers are electric powered. it just uses the vacuum as a sensor to regulate wiper speed. the brain of the system may be on the upper passenger side of the firewall . I think I have seen 66 or later wiper switch on ebay with the 2 little tubes where the vacuum lines attach so I believe that is what you have. my car has this feature of speeding up the wipers when you speed up the car & without the vauum hooked up it senses no vacuum & wipers are fast & so both positions of the switch did the same thing, as yours is doing, both are fast. I think the counter clockwise position is low & where it needs to be for the little knob delay to work & slow them down even more.

the glass bottles come up on ebay now & then but not very often & are pricey. there are repopped labels for them.

where is LR? he is the 66-67 expert.
Johno

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

(I am in the process of producing some materials about the manifold vacuum driven interval wiper system. I am replying to this thread to put it in my queue of posts for follow up.)
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)