Welcome!

The Big Comets
mycyclone

Welcome!

Post by mycyclone »

Hello all...Been looking for quite some time to find a "Comet" based web forum and finally found one!!

I'm currently in the process of restoring a 1966 Cyclone convertible, and always looking for folks to share information with. The restoration is as close as possible to concourse correct as I can get, as it will be using only factory correct parts and assembly processes (paint over sprays, correct colors, and markings). Always looking for detailed information on the car and pit falls that other may have run in to (bad vendors or services). Currently in the process of getting the interior ready (seat covers, door panels, etc) and looking for feed back from others. Really trying to find a source on door panel restoration as well as a supplier for the camera case material on the gage cluster.

Glad to be here

Greg

poboyjo65

Re: Welcome!

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome!
You and I are on opposite sides of the car scene (been hackin on mine for 40 years)
I'm sure you will find guys here that can help with your questions.
We really like pics, would love to see your work!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

mycyclone

Post by mycyclone »

Here are a couple teasers...When I brought the car (third owner), and when I brought the car home from the paint booth this past fall (current state)...

albert

Post by albert »

Your car is really appealing, welcome to the Forum. A lot of good technical info here and a lot of on line Comet chatter with friendly folks!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Man!! Sure ya miss taken any bolts off before paint? lol
Seriously, WOW
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! That first pic looks like you started with a cream puff. It should be fantastic when you're through. You're in the right place for any information you may need.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP,,2nd's what JIM just posted word for word..it sure looked great to start with.....pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep what Jim said ! :D
Johno

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Welcome Greg. Great looking car. I am just finishing a 66 Cyclone GT hard top, although, not to this level, I tried to get everything as close to original as possible. I found some camera case material from cameraleather.com. I just picked what looked close from the website, but, I bet if you sent them a small sample they could hit it dead on. I used the seal print fine leatherette I think it was and it's darn close. It comes with adhesive on the back and one sheet will be enough, if you don't mess up fitting and cutting it. I'm having trouble with door panels also, the mylar is harder to find than an honest politician. I'm thinking about hitting one of the big wallpaper warehouses and checking the "faux" section. Keep us posted .

Baldy

mycyclone

Post by mycyclone »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and comments on the car. Yes, in the first picture the car looks great but I would call it a "20' looker great". Once you started looking at the car up close you could see the wear and tear, and even worse there were some areas that were screaming "FIX ME", i.e. a standard comet grill in place of the correct cyclone grill. So being that my OCD kicked in, we went for the full blown restoration.

The car has a great history...built in Loran, Ohio and shipped to Canada. Lived most of its life up in Winnipeg until purchased by the second owner. The story that he gave me was that he and his family were on summer holiday in the Winnipeg area (they were originally from Hamilton Ontario) and went in to town for a ice cream treat one evening. As they were driving past this small used car dealer here was the Cyclone up on a rotary display, showing itself off to the world. He went back to the dealer first thing in the morning and bought the car! Dealer said that they had just taken the car in on a trade from a elderly man and his wife as it was becoming to difficult to drive the 4 speed, non power steering, big block car! So the car then came down to the Hamilton Ontario area and lived there for a while until I stumbled across it while in the hunt for a convertible Fairlane (never thought I would find a cyclone convertible). I purchased the car and have since brought it back to the states where we enjoyed it for a while before starting the restoration.

Plan on the restoration is to bring it back to its full show room glory only using pieces and parts that were available in the early 60's. To date, I have things like the correct Hurst shifter, a set of 14" Hurst wheels, and a Rotunda tachometer to bling it up a little. For the power end of the car, the 390 has been completely rebuilt using todays technology, but yesterdays specs...a solid roller 427 cam profile, Holman Moody medium riser intake, 735 Holley, Edelbrock aluminum heads (most likely will be painted) and FPA headers (still undecided at this point, as I don't think a set of cast ford headers will fit in the car); I want the engine compartment to look as close as possible to stock.

Here is the old 390 on dyno day...If memory serves me, she pulled 450ish hp @ 5800ish rpm (don't quote me until I find the actual run sheet)...not bad in my books as I was not building a race engine

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ALL sounds and looks good !! HP is one thing,,but the necking popping TORQUE is what lights my fire when it comes to those FE's pop :shock: :shock: 8)
pop/glenda

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Welcome! Beautiful car and it looks like you are doing quite the restoration on it. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Dave