Headers 351W Swap

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
straycat99

Headers 351W Swap

Post by straycat99 »

What are you guys running for headers on a 351W swap in your cars? Where to find for a 64-65 car?

Thanks
Tim

loman

Re: Headers 351W Swap

Post by loman »

My headers come from Crites. The tubes install individually and then you install the collectors. I think there might be a couple of other vendors but I don't know who they are.

http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/

straycat99

Post by straycat99 »

I have heard of the crites. How was the fit and finish? I see they are listed to fit both the 302 and 351. Thanks for the reply loman!!

Tim

loman

Post by loman »

There is no finish on them so you have to paint them or get them coated. The fit is tight and some of the header bolts are not the easiest to get to. I use a combination of wrenches and sockets to install the header bolts. Plenty of ground clearance. I install all the tubes but leave the bolts just a tad loose so they have just a little movement. Then I slip the collectors on and then torque the header bolts down. The first couple of times I had to put a couple of hose clamps around all 4 tubes to hold them together to get the collectors on. One thing I have trouble with is removing them. I have a hard time getting the collectors off after they have been on a while, but I'd say that is probably par for the course. Another thing is, I couldn't use my normal spark plug socket on the #4 plug. I had to take an old socket with a hex end on it and shorten it. I use that socket and a wrench to remove #4 plug. The other plugs I can get to but a couple are pretty tight.

straycat99

Post by straycat99 »

Thanks loman that is exactly what I wanted to know about Crites 351w headers. Did you also do the Crites shock tower kit and motor mounts? Do you have any pictures?

Tim

loman

Post by loman »

I still have stock shock towers and mounts. Previous owner had a Cleveland in it at one time and the shock towers got worked over literally with a 2 lb hammer but it is still tight.

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

My '65 has a 351w. Headers from Tubular Automotive in Weymouth, Mass.... a tight fit, still i can get all the plugs out. Tubes are 1 & 5/8ths"... There are still in business. Give them a call and tell them what you're looking for and they will set you up....Mac