header extensions

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
loman

header extensions

Post by loman »

Anybody got any experience with extensions good or bad? I put my extensions on the other night and last night I fired it up for the first time with them on. I took a black marker and black crayon and made a line down the length of them. The plan was to cut them down at the point where the crayon or marker burned off the pipe. Currently they are extra long, 3 ft. I know the car will sound different to me but it sounded like crap when i started it. After it warmed up, it did sound better so I did a couple of 3000 rpm launches in the driveway. Everything seemed ok, so i parked it back in shop. Then I noticed on both valve covers some oil under both breather caps. I have never had oil there before. My guess is somehow the extensions changed the pressure in the exhaust and the evacuation tubes somehow caused oil to puke out the breather cap. So i removed the extensions and the car sounds like it did before. I'm going racing today, so I'll ask around at the track for ideas as well.

popscomet

Re: header extensions

Post by popscomet »

HAVE always done the crayon way,,,,my mudd truck had 8 pipes coming straight up out of the hood,,wasn't 2 the exact same length,,,most were close,but no 2 were the same......it's weird that crayon melts in just 1 place,good luck
pop/glenda

StPro

Re: header extensions

Post by StPro »

I did the same thing with white paint.Then cut them off where the paint turned straw color.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT